Unidentified loach issue

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Steelers_fan1992

Unidentified loach issue

Post by Steelers_fan1992 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:08 am

Hey I am having a problem with my weather loach. He has white splotches on his back. They do not look like ich and I can't find anything like them on the internet. If anyone knows what I am talking about please help me out. I am very worried about him and even the local pet store did not know what was causing it. Please respond Thank you.

Diana

Re: Unidentified loach issue

Post by Diana » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:53 pm

One of the more common problems that shows up as white areas is a bacterial infection caused by Flavobacterium columnaris.
The name has changed over the years, and some places may still use the old name: Flexibacter.
Common names include: Flex, Columnaris, Saddle disease, cotton wool disease and various names with the word 'Fungus'. It is not a fungus.
It is usually seen as white or off-white-grey patches anywhere on the fish, but often starting on the dorsal surface (thus the name 'Saddle Disease'). This is one of the bacteria that can cause fin rot, too. Sometimes it can grow into a more fluffy looking problem, thus the confusion with fungus. Or secondary infection may move in, true fungus often grow on compromised tissue.
There are several forms of these bacteria, and one form can kill the fish overnight.
These bacteria responds to most aquarium antibiotics. It is Gram negative.
It grows more rampantly when the nitrates are high, so do a few extra water changes, emphasizing vacuuming the gravel. Flavobacteria thrive in warmer water. If the fish will handle cooler water I would lower the temperature to under 76*F.

Another problem that can show up as white, but nodules, not patches, is Lymphosistis, looks kind of like a wart. Usually slow growing. Might be anywhere on the fish, and a fish may have more than one. Usually does not kill the fish. May also look a bit pinkish.

Fish can get burned by resting on the heater. This might show up as a white patch if the burn is not too deep. Not much you can do except keep the water extra clean to reduce the chance of bacteria or fungi attacking. Of course, move the heater.

Fish can get scratched by sharp things like rocks or plastic plants. A shallow scrape will often look white. Like a burn, the best treatment is clean water. If you can identify the sharp thing, remove it.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!