Clown Loach Sudden Behavior Change

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Randall

Clown Loach Sudden Behavior Change

Post by Randall » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:40 pm

About two months ago I moved my four Clowns from a 30-gallon to a 50-gallon tank. The Clowns are from 2.5 to 4.0 inches long and I've had the larger two for about four years. They were always busy fish. In the larger tank, which now has more of everything, more driftwood, more plants and stronger lighting for the plants, the Clowns suddenly burrow into the three inch plastic tube partially buried in the sand substrate and stay there all day. At night when the light is off they creep out looking for food. When they see me enter the room, they vanish. In the smaller tank they had the same three inch tube and still swam around doing what Clowns do. What happened? They seem healthy but I rarely see them now. I used to feed them two or three times a day, just a little food each time. Did that for years. Now I don't know how to feed them. So, I drop in a little food at night hoping they come out and eat. Nice looking loach tank but I can't find my loaches!

Diana

Re: Clown Loach Sudden Behavior Change

Post by Diana » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:39 pm

Do you have any other fish in the tank? I think some fish that swim higher up may help, perhaps a school of Rainbows or something.

Mine did something similar. They have been in a 125 gallon for a long time. When they were first introduced they played in the water flow from a power head, surfing almost the full length of the tank, then coming back for more. They hide more, now. They come out for food, but mostly can be found under the wood or behind the rocks. I always feed right up front so that is where all the fish come to eat.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

DainBramage1991

Post by DainBramage1991 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:07 pm

My own clowns are active all day and quite human-friendly. I can even hand feed them. :D

However, this behavior didn't start until after I added a small school of rainbowfish to the tank. Before that, the clowns would stay in two groups at each back corner of the tank and only come out to eat. Rainbows are a fantastic addition to a clown loach tank, they have a lot of personality and are relatively smart (as fish go). They're also nice to look at, especially the males.

The other thing to consider is the light level in the tank. Clowns prefer subdued lighting, so the increased lighting you added may be having an effect on their behavior as well. Of course, you have the plants to consider as well, so finding a good balance between the two may be challenging.

kathrin

Post by kathrin » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:26 am

I like this forum, amazing and very informative,