Red dot at fin base, any ideas?

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Nicki

Red dot at fin base, any ideas?

Post by Nicki » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:07 am

Type of fish that are affected (common name and latin name if possible - common names vary worldwide, latin names don't!). Sumo II-Schistura cf. balteata
* How long has the tank been set up for? About a year
* Size of tank (dimensions and volume). About 30l, just a rectangle quarantine tank
* How is the tank being filtered? internal filter
* Water temperature. 24-25C
* Your maintenance regime (e.g. how often water changes are carried out, what percentage of the water is changed each time, how often you clean your filter/s and how do you do this?) 2 or 3 water changes a week, between 30-50% a time. Filter cleaned maybe once a month.
* Has anything new been added to the tank recently? (fish, plants, live food, decor etc). nothing new, everything has been the same since i got her.
* What other fish are in the tank? one other Schistura cf. balteata and two young Ambastaia/Yasuhikotakia sidthimunki- dwarf chain loaches.
* As detailed a description as possible of the symptoms the fish are exhibiting (remember a photograph can speak a thousand words). There is a red mark/spot at the base of her left pectoral fin. It is probably the size of her eye or slightly smaller. It is a bright red. She is eating and playing normally. Swimming well, no other symptoms.
* How long ago the affected fish were added to the tank, and how long the fish have been displaying symptoms. Had them about 6 weeks, she has had the mark about a week.
* Your current water parameters - ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH (please don't say 'my water is fine, the levels are ok', we would like actual numbers from the test results)no ammonia or nitrite, 20ppm nitrate

I don't like using medications lots so have done nothing, just thought fish had caught itself and would heal. But it doesn't seem like a wound an it has stayed bright bright red so any help would be appreciated. The tank is small i am aware but they would be in the main tank by now if it weren't for this. Tank has quite a strong current. Very fine sand substrate, bits of bogwood.

Jim Powers

Re: Red dot at fin base, any ideas?

Post by Jim Powers » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:48 am

Many schistura species have this so it may be nothing.
Did it appear suddenly?

Nicki

Post by Nicki » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:13 pm

hello :) thanks for replying.
Yes it appeared overnight and hasn't changed since. So it could just be a harmless mark?

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:24 pm

I'm not sure. It could be. A pic would help tremendously. If it appeared overnight, it makes me think it might be a wound.
If it is, and the fish is not acting odd or it does not get larger, I would just make sure to keep the water quality high and allow it to heal on its own.

Nicki

Post by Nicki » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:33 am

I have been trying to get a photo but no luck. She sits on the filter right against the glass but is always facing the wrong way :roll: . It doesn't seem like a disease or parasite so for now then i will just keep on eye on it.Thanks for the help it is always nice to get another opinion :D .