Effect of H202 and Kmno4 on Clown loaches.

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

squid

Effect of H202 and Kmno4 on Clown loaches.

Post by squid » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:30 am

Anybody has experience iwth usage of small dose of H202 or Kmno4 on clown loaches?
I've used a little Kmno4 in my other tanks to reduced dissolved organic matter, and then use H202 to deactivate it.
Anybody has experience with H202 or kMN04 WITH their clown loach?
How about H202 only? as this can also be used to reduce dissolved organic matter, can i dose with this?

Diana

Re: Effect of H202 and Kmno4 on Clown loaches.

Post by Diana » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:29 am

H2O2 can be used to a maximum dose of 1ml per 1 gallon (4 liters).
50% water change before dosing again.

Best approach:
1) Water changes that emphasize vacuuming the substrate and under rocks and driftwood.
2) Clean the filter media in water removed for a water change.
3) Increase the water movement, add power heads. Then dose. Aim the power head into the corners where the debris hides. This will keep the H2O2 circulating, and bring more of it to the troubled areas.

It may be that a higher dose is safe, but the 1 ml per gallon rate I know to be safe, I have used it at that rate with Loaches.

I have heard of ways of using it at higher rates, but I do not know if it is safe.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

squid

Post by squid » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:11 pm

Diana wrote:H2O2 can be used to a maximum dose of 1ml per 1 gallon (4 liters).
50% water change before dosing again.

Best approach:
1) Water changes that emphasize vacuuming the substrate and under rocks and driftwood.
2) Clean the filter media in water removed for a water change.
3) Increase the water movement, add power heads. Then dose. Aim the power head into the corners where the debris hides. This will keep the H2O2 circulating, and bring more of it to the troubled areas.

It may be that a higher dose is safe, but the 1 ml per gallon rate I know to be safe, I have used it at that rate with Loaches.

I have heard of ways of using it at higher rates, but I do not know if it is safe.
Thank you very much diana :) really really appreciate your help, i'm planning to dose at alower dosage, only to reduce dissolved organic matter in the water, my tank is barebutton with huge driftwoods.
Btw how do you know if the h202 has alreeady been exhausted? As im planning to disconnect my sump filter beforemdosing with h202.

Diana

Post by Diana » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:36 pm

You do not know if the H2O2 has been converted to water and oxygen. That is why you would do a water change (50%) before dosing more.

H2O2 breaks down in the presence of light, but most aquarium light is not bright enough to do this. A UV sterilizer will break it down.

You can see it break down in certain uses.
1) if you drain the tank first, then apply it to exposed algae and watch it bubble. You can assume that at least 50%, maybe more, is broken down in as little as 15 minutes.
2) If you see it bubbling under water. This is less accurate. You know it is breaking down, but not any sort of idea how much.

I am not sure why you are using it, if it is a bare bottom tank, just vacuum away the debris. Where else is organic matter hiding?
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

squid

Post by squid » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:07 pm

Diana wrote:You do not know if the H2O2 has been converted to water and oxygen. That is why you would do a water change (50%) before dosing more.

H2O2 breaks down in the presence of light, but most aquarium light is not bright enough to do this. A UV sterilizer will break it down.

You can see it break down in certain uses.
1) if you drain the tank first, then apply it to exposed algae and watch it bubble. You can assume that at least 50%, maybe more, is broken down in as little as 15 minutes.
2) If you see it bubbling under water. This is less accurate. You know it is breaking down, but not any sort of idea how much.

I am not sure why you are using it, if it is a bare bottom tank, just vacuum away the debris. Where else is organic matter hiding?
thanks Diana, I usually do 30% water change and vacuum the debris which can be seen by the eyes.
but planning to use H202 in addition to my water changes, in case some irganic matter which was not syphoned out.
My tank is 350 Gallons, But i'm only planning to use a little amount of 3% H202, maybe just 10 ML, not sure if this would help though:)
i also have some stubborn algae on my glass its really hard top scrape of and the pleco doesn't seem to be able to clean it.
will the small amount of H202 I add help? or will i need stronger concentration for stubborn algae?