2.5 gallon enough as quarantine tank?

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

squid

2.5 gallon enough as quarantine tank?

Post by squid » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:01 am

I only have a 2.5 gallon as quarantine tank, will this be ok as quarantine tank for 1.5 - 2 inch loaches? I just bought 5 pcs Kubotai loach and would like to quarantine them first in the 2.5 Gal?
I added a really dirty sponge to the tank, though it was not connected to the airhose, it was inside my other established tank :?:

DainBramage1991

Re: 2.5 gallon enough as quarantine tank?

Post by DainBramage1991 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:27 pm

It's not ideal, but it should be okay as a temporary tank for loaches in the size range you mentioned. I wouldn't put anything in it that's bigger than 2 inches, though. The tiny size of the tank will add unnecessary stress.

I don't know about availability in your area, but in this area 10 gallon tanks can be had for very little money. That would be a much more ideal size q-tank, if you can get your hands on one.

You also might want to hook that sponge up to an airline so it can provide some filtration.

squid

Re: 2.5 gallon enough as quarantine tank?

Post by squid » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:17 pm

DainBramage1991 wrote:It's not ideal, but it should be okay as a temporary tank for loaches in the size range you mentioned. I wouldn't put anything in it that's bigger than 2 inches, though. The tiny size of the tank will add unnecessary stress.

I don't know about availability in your area, but in this area 10 gallon tanks can be had for very little money. That would be a much more ideal size q-tank, if you can get your hands on one.

You also might want to hook that sponge up to an airline so it can provide some filtration.
thanks, 10 gallon tank is also quite cheap here. I'll try to get my hands on one, or maybe if there's no visible problems with this loaches, I'll transfer them in with the old one.