Stuck Subocular Spine

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

DainBramage1991

Stuck Subocular Spine

Post by DainBramage1991 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:49 pm

My juvenile clowns have been sparring a bit more than usual lately. They're probably trying to figure out a pecking order, as every week it seems like a different one of them has outgrown the others. I'm not too worried about it, though I may try to add some more hiding spots soon. They have dozens of hiding places already, but seem to insist on fighting over the same two adjacent spots. :roll:

They've had some small scratches from time to time, but never any real injuries...

Until tonight, when I noticed that one of them had his left subocular spine stuck partially out. His other spine was fully concealed. I checked on him again a little later and the spine was still out.

Does anyone know if this is normal? If not, is there anything that can be done for the loach, or would it be better just to keep an eye on him and see what happens?

(Sorry about the scratched glass, the tank is very old and has has had a hard life)

DainBramage1991

Re: Stuck Subocular Spine

Post by DainBramage1991 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:29 am

The loach's spine is back in as of this morning, but I am still curious if this is a normal occurrence.

Has anyone else witnessed anything similar with their loaches?

EmilyMarie85

Re: Stuck Subocular Spine

Post by EmilyMarie85 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:10 pm

I had that happen to one of mine once. It retracted after a day or so - no clue what happened.