Clown Loach helpwith diagnosis and treatment of caudal fin

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

degmat

Clown Loach helpwith diagnosis and treatment of caudal fin

Post by degmat » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:16 am

Hi folks, hoping for some help on what this is and how to treat this condition...

Type of fish that are affected (common name and latin name if possible - common names vary worldwide, latin names don't!).
Clown Loach - Chromobotia macracanthus

* How long has the tank been set up for?
7 years

* Size of tank (dimensions and volume).
80 gallons

* How is the tank being filtered?
2 power filters rated for 60 gallons each

* Water temperature.
75 degrees

* Your maintenance regime (e.g. how often water changes are carried out, what percentage of the water is changed each time, how often you clean your filter/s and how do you do this?)
20% weekly water change
filter pads replaced alternate weeks

* Has anything new been added to the tank recently? (fish, plants, live food, decor etc).
no

* What other fish are in the tank?
20 small tetras, 6 small rams, 8 clown loaches

* As detailed a description as possible of the symptoms the fish are exhibiting (remember a photograph can speak a thousand words).
* How long ago the affected fish were added to the tank, and how long the fish have been displaying symptoms.

Fish is about 4 years old, about 3 inches, eats and behaves normal
Caudal fin issue has been existent for about a year, does not appear to get better/worse
All other fish are healthy/behave normally

http://postimg.org/image/jfzhwb76t/

* Your current water parameters - ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH (please don't say 'my water is fine, the levels are ok', we would like actual numbers from the test results).
I actually don't have any test kits (being honest)

The Angry Loach

Re: Clown Loach helpwith diagnosis and treatment of caudal f

Post by The Angry Loach » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:36 pm

This is a hole punched into the fin? If it's been a year with out healing or degrading condition, it may well be due to scaring. it still appears to have a reddish tint, which may be an infection around the hole that has kept it from filling in, or could be just coloration around the area from sealing the wound. I would suggest a quarantine of the fish and try treating for secondary infection or try melafix to at least inhibit regrowth of the fins. I would suggest getting a test kit, since some healing issues can be linked to water conditions. If a test kit seems a little pricey, you can but a set of test strips at your local pet store or even some walmart locations for around six dollars. It will have a color guide that comes with it, and some require you go online to understand what that means in terms of PPM. High ammonia and Nitrate levels can keep wounds from healing and overly acidic water will do the same thing. All of these can lead to fatality if not treated.
I liek feesh. And yes, I drew that xD

Diana

Post by Diana » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:44 am

I would increase the water changes. Perhaps twice a week, 25% minimum. As noted above, injuries just do not heal when there are too-high nitrates in the tank. You have a lot of fish, even if it is a large tank. That is a lot of fish-mass per gallon.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

degmat

Post by degmat » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:27 am

Thanks for the suggestions, I picked up a 5-N-1 Test Strips at Walmart and results are:
I'll try going to two 25% water changes weekly to see if it helps.

PH 7.8
ALK 80
HARD 150
NITRITE 0
NITRATE 20

The Angry Loach

Post by The Angry Loach » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:13 am

Well, your pH is on the higher range, but nitrite and nitrate levels look good. If it was GH being tested, that also looks to be at a medium level and shouldn't be too horrible. Try to bring your pH closer to 7.0 and treat with melafix to help the fins regrow. You might be dealing with a scar that may not heal over.
I liek feesh. And yes, I drew that xD