New golden dojo loach sick

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Gavint85

New golden dojo loach sick

Post by Gavint85 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:03 pm

I just added a golden dojo loach to my cold water tank this week, and 3 days later his dorsal fin is gone, there is a large whitish circle where the fin used to be, his barbells are curled, and he seems to have fairly labored breathing. I have no idea what this is or how to treat it. I've been adding Paraguard this week to treat another fishes ick, but it doesn't seem to be helping the loach any. Water parameters are perfect, BTW

The Angry Loach

Re: New golden dojo loach sick

Post by The Angry Loach » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:49 am

Did you Quarantine the loach before adding him to the community tank? Ich can cause some serious damage in loaches, but I've never heard of a fin going missing. Do you have any fish that may have bitten him? Even small mouths can cause a lot of damage down the line. The labored breathing could be due to stress if you know that your ammonia and nitrate levels are in check. Is the ich medicine you're using okay for use on scaleless fish? Is there a way we can get a picture?
I liek feesh. And yes, I drew that xD

Gavint85

Post by Gavint85 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:04 pm

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately he went belly up yesterday. I'm fairly certain it was not ick (the medicine I was using was Seachem ParaGuard). I'm also sure he wasn't bitten by another fish. After I posted he started to get what looked like bruising and even started to bleed from his belly. Weird thing is I had him in an empty quarantine tank so I know he didn't bang into anything. After he died, his body started decaying rapidly and chunks of skin were coming off within hours of death. I'm curious as to what it was so that if it happens again I could treat it.

The Angry Loach

Post by The Angry Loach » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:04 am

I've never heard of anything like that. I know dojo loaches dig a lot. Do you have stones or anything like that in the QT?
I liek feesh. And yes, I drew that xD