EMERGENCY - Goldfish

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

emi-chan

EMERGENCY - Goldfish

Post by emi-chan » Fri May 30, 2014 7:56 am

As some of you may know, I have several tanks in my house. Some with goldfish and some with goldfish and weather loaches.

I woke this morning to my solo goldfish (kept apart from others since he's quite aggressive) on his side with the bends.

I noticed him listing slightly on one side a few days ago and did a small water change which perked him right up but he has totally 'c shaped' now and I have no idea what to do.

I tested his water and it's the same as it normally would be:

pH 6.4
nitrite - 0.0 ppm
Ammonia - 0.0ppm
Nitrate - 0 ppm - 2 ppm

I tested the water I use to change tanks and it was the same (apart from the pH being slightly different 6.9)

His only symptoms are sitting on one side in a 'c shape'. He's not 'pine coning' has dropped any scales or obtained any injuries in the past year.

Now Sebastian is approaching 12 years old now and I have no idea what I can do for him. He was constipated a couple of weeks ago but he recovered from that.

Help me please.
moo

emi-chan

Re: EMERGENCY - Goldfish

Post by emi-chan » Fri May 30, 2014 8:29 am

Sebastian just went through a 3 minute period of twitching/convulsing. He is trying to swim around the tank but every time he does he can only swim in a spiral, upside down and then gives up.

OK, update time.

No improvement. Still alive, but no better. He is still limping around the tank in a 'c shape'.
I did a small water change which perked him up for all of 5 seconds where he actually straightened out and swam with minimal difficulty.

I'm going to keep doing little water changes every couple of hours since I don't know what else to do.
At the very least, I'll try to make him more comfortable if this is his time.....
moo

emi-chan

Post by emi-chan » Sat May 31, 2014 11:31 am

I'm sad to announce that Sebastian the goldfish had passed away.

We had many good years together after I adopted him from my cousin.

I'll miss him taking food from my hands and entertaining everyone with his antics.

I just wish I had a nice photo of him.

R.I.P. my darling little friend <3
moo

atmichaels

Post by atmichaels » Sat May 31, 2014 2:27 pm

Sorry for your loss. :cry:
Currently keeping: gastromyzon spp., hypergastromyzon humilis, pseudogastromyzon sp., sewellia spp., ambastaia sidthimunki, homaloptera spp., serpenticobitis octozona, Yaoshania pachychilus. As well as various catfish, loricarids, livebearers and tetras.

GC180xt

Post by GC180xt » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:43 am

I am really sorry for knowing this. You did have nice time together with him, so I am sure you'll miss him a lot.

----------------------
http://gc180xtgarcinias.com/