Help with levamisole dosage.

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

squid

Help with levamisole dosage.

Post by squid » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:45 am

I have a pice of clownloach in my 300 gal tank + 50 gal sump.
I have a sachet of levamisole hcl which is 10% soluble , the sachet is 10 g .
How much of this will i need to treat my 300 gal tank? Only a piece of cl is getting skinny, all the others are quite fat.
Not sure what happened i dont feed live food except maybe the occasional snail from my pond.
Please help as im not good with calculation:)

atmichaels

Re: Help with levamisole dosage.

Post by atmichaels » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:13 am

Currently keeping: gastromyzon spp., hypergastromyzon humilis, pseudogastromyzon sp., sewellia spp., ambastaia sidthimunki, homaloptera spp., serpenticobitis octozona, Yaoshania pachychilus. As well as various catfish, loricarids, livebearers and tetras.

squid

Post by squid » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:34 am

thanks , Ive read thru it :)

ive read i need 90mg of Levamisole HCl will treat 10 gallons with a 2 ppm concentration.
but inoticed the med i have mentions 10% cncentration?
does this mean i'll need 900MGrams to treat 10 Gal?
my tank is 350 gallon inclusive of sump.

atmichaels

Post by atmichaels » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:02 am

Hi Squid-I need to clarify what you have. Is it 10% soluble or 10% concentration? If what you have is just levamisole powder, without additives,then it should be the former (concentration usually refers to a liquid solution). Solubilty refers to how much of the medication (levamisole powder) will dissolve in a given amount of solvent (water), typically at room temperature (25C), expressed as a percentage of mg/ml. So a 10% soluble medication means 1mg of medication needs 10ml of water to fully dissolve. Which means to dissolve 90mg of powder you would only need 900ml of water, which is much less than the 10 gallons per dosage instructions. This is a long way of saying you can ignore the 10% and dose at 90mg per 10 gallons.

So to dose 350 gallons you would need to use 3.15 grams. (90mg x 35 =3150mg =3.15g)

I hope this helps!

Austen
Currently keeping: gastromyzon spp., hypergastromyzon humilis, pseudogastromyzon sp., sewellia spp., ambastaia sidthimunki, homaloptera spp., serpenticobitis octozona, Yaoshania pachychilus. As well as various catfish, loricarids, livebearers and tetras.

squid

Post by squid » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:52 am

atmichaels wrote:Hi Squid-I need to clarify what you have. Is it 10% soluble or 10% concentration? If what you have is just levamisole powder, without additives,then it should be the former (concentration usually refers to a liquid solution). Solubilty refers to how much of the medication (levamisole powder) will dissolve in a given amount of solvent (water), typically at room temperature (25C), expressed as a percentage of mg/ml. So a 10% soluble medication means 1mg of medication needs 10ml of water to fully dissolve. Which means to dissolve 90mg of powder you would only need 900ml of water, which is much less than the 10 gallons per dosage instructions. This is a long way of saying you can ignore the 10% and dose at 90mg per 10 gallons.

So to dose 350 gallons you would need to use 3.15 grams. (90mg x 35 =3150mg =3.15g)

I hope this helps!

Austen
Thank you very much austen, really appreciate you help,
What i have is 10% soluble :)

atmichaels

Post by atmichaels » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:16 pm

Excellent, you should be good to go! Good luck with your loach.

squid

Post by squid » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:24 am

thanks!!
treated yesterday. hope the skinny one recovers soon :)
i'll treat with 2nd dosage.

squid

Post by squid » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:56 am

Up for this thread, btw can i premix powder into water? Or will the levamisole lose its effectiveness wuickly when in water? Since its hard to measure 3 grams of powder i was thinking ill make a mix of 10 grams in 500 ml water this way it will be easier to dose?

atmichaels

Post by atmichaels » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:59 pm

First, how is the clown from last year?

Second, levamisole in water is stable for 90 days so I would only mix it all if you're planning on immediate use. It also needs to be refrigerated and protected from exposure to light as it is photosensitive. If you don't have a need to mix it all, I would split the 10 grams into thirds as close as you can. Using more than the 3 grams you need is ok as it takes excessive amounts to actually overdose.

Austen