Loaches in Practical Fishkeeping

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Doc

Loaches in Practical Fishkeeping

Post by Doc » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:35 am

Just read the new PFK issue ( Oct 08 ) and have to say superb article by Emma. Informative and interesting as usual.
So Thank you Emma.
So many species of fish yet so little time, space and money to keep them all...

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:53 am

Thanks Doc! :mrgreen:
Unfortunately though (and I have to be diplomatic here) I was very disappointed that a good number of photographs I submitted to accompany the species guides were omitted. :cry: This includes one of Helen's jumbo Yoyos. Maybe I will post all the pictures here later....
Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

Doc

Post by Doc » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:02 pm

I'll scan the article and try and post it later on if I get the chance. Got a few fishy things to do first as well as celebrate the Challenge Cup win. 8)
So many species of fish yet so little time, space and money to keep them all...

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:00 pm

Some of you might have seen a few of these shots before, but there are several which I've never shown before. The ones labelled with a white coloured name are the ones that were shown in the mag, and the ones labelled in green are the ones they missed out. Hope you enjoy! :D

Aborichthys elongatus:

Acanthocobitis botia:

Acantopsis choirorhynchos:

Beaufortia kweichowensis:

Botia almorhae:

Gastromyzon ctenocephalus:

Homaloptera confuzona:

Lepidocephalichthys hasselti:

Mesonoemacheilus guentheri:

Misgurnus anguillicaudatus:

Pangio alternans:

Schistura balteata:

Sewellia lineolata:

Sinibotia pulchra:

Syncrossus berdmorei:

Vaillantella maassi:

Yasuhikotakia sidthimunki:

And finally a group shot of Y. sidthimunki which I submitted as the title pic, but was not used :cry: :

Botia Robert

Post by Botia Robert » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:34 pm

Thats a fantastic selection of pictures Emma. :)

It really shows the diversity of Loaches.

I think this is what the magazine needed. They need to be able to tell the story that there is more to loaches than the clowns you see in the LFS.

Good work on your articles Emma. The more "loach education" done for the mainstream the better.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:07 pm

Those are great, Emma!!
I'll have to look for this issue.

greenbaron

Post by greenbaron » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:30 pm

Those are beautiful pictures. I really like the Syncrossus berdmorei. Wow.
I checked the PFK site, over $109 for a subscription to US :shock:
Hope you keep sharing your pictures here, because I sure don't think I'll see them in print anytime soon!

Bully

Post by Bully » Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:54 am

It was a great article Emma :D

Looking at the pictures they left out, it was a shame that they did. One of the irritating things for me with any magazine is that they talk about something without illustrating it. If you're new to a hobby it can be very frustrating.

Eyrie

Post by Eyrie » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:31 am

Wonderful group shot of the sids, and stunning colours on the Pangio alternans :o
Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

mickthefish

Post by mickthefish » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:28 am

Bully, it ain't that mate, they're more intrested in adverts than they are the articles,
i know they need them to survive but why not have them at the back of the mag instead of every other page.

mick
ps, plus they have to give money for pic.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:27 am

Thanks for the great comments, the diversity is what I wanted to show. 8) Bully, you hit the nail on the head, I worry that new fishkeepers won't have heard of Lepidocephalichthys or Homaloptera for example, so the text then won't mean a lot to them. I was particularly gutted they missed out the Lepidocephalichthys pic as this genus could be considered a community type loach far more than some of the more common species we see.

Emma

Mike Ophir

Post by Mike Ophir » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:11 pm

Great photos, as always Emma!

Mike
A proud member of LOL since 1998

Bully

Post by Bully » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:06 pm

mickthefish wrote:Bully, it ain't that mate, they're more intrested in adverts than they are the articles,
i know they need them to survive but why not have them at the back of the mag instead of every other page.

mick
ps, plus they have to give money for pic.
Advertising, the necessary evil :evil:

It could be worse, I once read GQ and counted 7 whole pages (14 sides) between the contents page and the first article!!
Emma Turner wrote:I worry that new fishkeepers won't have heard of Lepidocephalichthys or Homaloptera for example, so the text then won't mean a lot to them. I was particularly gutted they missed out the Lepidocephalichthys pic as this genus could be considered a community type loach far more than some of the more common species we see.

Emma
Not only new fishkeepers, my LFS has "Lizard Fish - Algae Eater" in stock, with no idea of what they actually are. I'm not good at identifying fish (I don't have the memory for it) but I mentioned that they were likely a Homaloptera species or similar, but was told they weren't. I had a look in a copy of Ornamental Aquarium Fish of India they had in the store, and it closely resembles the Travancoria elongata (Angel Sucker Loach) that's on page 89, although they are only about 4 cm's. I'm hoping to get back down there tomorrow and take a photo or two so that I can get a proper ID from the species index :)

Anyway, yes having all the images would help those magazine readers that don't use the internet. I've asked most of the members of staff at my LFS and so far most of them rarely ever use the internet.