Fine Food Recipes!

This forum is for all non-fish-related subjects and is un-moderated. Be warned that at times, opinions expressed within are often strongly held and defended. Some may find certain views and language offensive. The opinions expressed are those of the posters and do not represent the opinions of the moderation team or the site owner.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

tariesindanrie

Post by tariesindanrie » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:14 pm

Um. Just a thought, Grobson...but you might want to specify what kind of blood that ought to be?

Just sayin'.

Ooooh- this reminds me- does anyone have a good sticky toffee pudding recipe they can share?

Kate
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”- Dr. Seuss

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:18 pm

I did specify.

It's easy to access Pigs Blood, normally a local Farmer or butcher will sell you it by the liter. If not, then your buggered and i suppose the ready made deals are best.

tariesindanrie

Post by tariesindanrie » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:23 pm

Oops- sorry, you did indeed and I missed it there. :oops:

Kate
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”- Dr. Seuss

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:26 pm

Just for you Kate. :wink:

Ingredients

225g whole Medjool dates
175g boiling water
1 tsp vanilla extract
175g self-raising flour , plus extra for greasing
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 eggs
85g butter , softened, plus extra for greasing
140g demerara sugar
2 tbsp black treacle
100ml milk
cream or custard to serve (optional)

Toffee sauce

175g light muscovado sugar
50g butter , cut into pieces
225ml double cream
1 tbsp black treacle

Method

Stone and chop the dates quite small, put them in a bowl, then pour the boiling water over. Leave for about 30 mins until cool and well-soaked, then mash a bit with a fork. Stir in the vanilla extract. Butter and flour seven mini pudding tins (each about 200ml/7fl oz) and sit them on a baking sheet. Heat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4.
While the dates are soaking, make the puddings. Mix the flour and bicarbonate of soda together and beat the eggs in a separate bowl. Beat the butter and sugar together in a large bowl for a few mins until slightly creamy (the mixture will be grainy from the sugar). Add the eggs a little at a time, beating well between additions. Beat in the black treacle then, using a large metal spoon, gently fold in one-third of the flour, then half the milk, being careful not to overbeat. Repeat until all the flour and milk is used. Stir the soaked dates into the pudding batter. The mix may look a little curdled at this point and will be like a soft, thick batter. Spoon it evenly between the tins and bake for 20-25 mins, until risen and firm.
Meanwhile, put the sugar and butter for the sauce in a medium saucepan with half the cream. Bring to the boil over a medium heat, stirring all the time, until the sugar has completely dissolved. Stir in the black treacle, turn up the heat slightly and let the mixture bubble away for 2-3 mins until it is a rich toffee colour, stirring occasionally to make sure it doesn't burn. Take the pan off the heat and beat in the rest of the cream.
Remove the puddings from the oven. Leave in the tins for a few mins, then loosen them well from the sides of the tins with a small palette knife before turning them out. You can serve them now with the sauce drizzled over, but they'll be even stickier if left for a day or two coated in the sauce. To do this, pour about half the sauce into one or two ovenproof serving dishes. Sit the upturned puddings on the sauce, then pour the rest of the sauce over them. Cover with a loose tent of foil so that the sauce doesn't smudge (no need to chill).
When ready to serve, heat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Warm the puddings through, still covered, for 15-20 mins or until the sauce is bubbling. Serve them on their own, or with cream or custard.

tariesindanrie

Post by tariesindanrie » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:46 pm

Thanks!

Little question- your 'black treacle' is what I believe we call 'molasses' here...but there are a few types of dark molasses. Is black treacle particularly strong tasting or is it more carmel-like in flavor?

Kate

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:17 am

Black Treacle has a slightly burnt caramel flavour that is a bit stronger than that of medium molasses. I would say it adds a little bit more edge to it.

Ken

Post by Ken » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:28 pm

My wife is out of town for a few days and since she hates onions and I love them, my dinners have all been heavy on onions. I figured this was the perfect chance to try out a batch of Onion Chowder. Lots of onions and bacon. How could I go wrong?

I used yellow onions, double the cheese and mixed the bacon into the full batch. The popovers are very good on their own and I also broke up a couple and put them in my soup.
------------------------------------------------
Onion Chowder with Cheesy Onion Popovers

Ingredients

1 lb sliced bacon, chopped
4 white onions, chopped
salt
1 1/4 cups flour
1 (32 ounce) container chicken broth
2 cups milk
3 large eggs
2 tablespoons butter, melted
2 ounces cheddar cheese, cut into 12 1/2-inch cubes
1/4 cup chives, finely chopped

Directions

Preheat oven to 425 degres.
Grease a standard 12-cup muffin pan.
In large Dutch oven, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp, about 12 minutes.
Using a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain.
Add the onions to the pot, season with salt and cook for 8 minutes.
Set aside 1/4 cup of the cooked onions.
Sprinkle the remaining onions with 1/4 cup flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
Stir in the chicken broth and bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer for 8 minutes.
Meanwhile, in blender, mix the reserved onions, 1 cup milk, the remaining 1 cup flour, the eggs, butter and 1/4 t salt until smooth.
Fill each muffin cup halfway with batter and place a cube of cheese in center of each.
Bake for 25 minutes, then lower the heat to 350 degrees; bake for 15 minutes more.
Stir in the remaining 1 cup milk into the soup and heat through.
Garnish with bacon and chives.
Serve with the popovers.
“Good bread is the most fundamentally satisfying of all foods; and good bread with fresh butter, the greatest of feasts.”

James Beard

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:56 am

Lemon Meringue Pie

Ingredients
For a 28cm/11in pie:

For the pastry:
225g/8oz plain flour
25g/1oz icing sugar
100g/4oz butter
1 egg, yolk only
about 2 tbsp water

For the filling:
4 large lemons
75g/3oz cornflour
570ml/1 pint water
4 egg, yolks only
175g/6oz caster sugar
For the meringue:
5 egg, whites only
225g/8oz caster sugar

Method
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
2. To make the pastry, measure the flour and sugar into a bowl and rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the egg yolk and water and work to a firm dough - this may, of course, be done in a processor. Wrap in cling film and leave to rest in the fridge for about 30 minutes.

3. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the pastry and use to line a 23cm/9in or 28cm/11in loose-bottomed, fluted flan tin. Prick the pastry lightly all over with a fork, line with greaseproof paper, fill with baking beans and bake blind in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes or until the pastry is pale golden and dried out, removing the paper and beans for the last 5 minutes.

4. Lower the oven heat to 150C/300F/Gas 2.

5. To make the filling measure 10fl oz/275ml cold water into a jug, and spoon the cornflour and sugar into a bowl. Add enough of the water to mix the cornflour to a smooth paste.

6. Pour the rest of the water, and the lemon zest into a small pan. Let this come to the boil then slowly pour it onto the cornflour, carefullly mixing it until you have a smooth paste.

7. Return the mixture to the saucepan and bring back to the boil, still mixing.

8. Simmer very gently for about one minute, stirring all the time to prevent it from catching. Then remove the pan from the heat and beat in the egg yolks, lemon juice and, finally, the sugar.

9. Pour the lemon mixture into the pastry shell and spread it out evenly.

10. For the meringue, whisk the egg whites in a large bowl with an electric whisk until they form stiff peaks. Whisk in the caster sugar, a spoonful at a time, whisking well and at a high speed between each addition. Spoon the meringue over the top of the lemon filling, spreading it out evenly and swirling it into peaks. Make sure there are no gaps.

11. Bake at the lower oven temperature for about 45 minutes for the 23cm/9in pie and about 1 hour for the 28cm/11in pie of until the meringue is crisp and pale beige on the outside and soft and marshmallowy underneath.

12. Serve warm or cold.

Ken

Post by Ken » Mon May 11, 2009 9:15 pm

I've posted my rib recipe in here before but I tried something new tonight that turned out really well. I'd made pina coladas a couple of nights ago and had some leftover cream of coconut. When I grabbed the BBQ sauce I noticed the leftover cream of coconut and wondered how it would taste on the ribs. It was awesome! I basted the ribs with the cream just as I would with BBQ sauce.
“Good bread is the most fundamentally satisfying of all foods; and good bread with fresh butter, the greatest of feasts.”

James Beard

Jacob

Post by Jacob » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:59 am

wow yummy...specially Ken's smoked stuffed peppers and Ron's BBQ Sauce. My mouth filled with water...

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:46 am

I've been making a bbq sauce with scallions recently - very good...

Put in the food processor:

2 large scallions
3 cloves garlic
1 tsp soy sauce
1 tbsp dark rum
2 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 - 1 tsp cayenne
3 tbsp ketchup

It makes a very dark sauce, but really nice, with good caramelizing action.
Your vantage point determines what you can see.

Jonas

Hot Sauce Recipe

Post by Jonas » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:25 pm

This recipe is about 7 on a scale of one to 10 for spiciness. The taste starts off slightly sweet & finishes with an afterburn. (I.e. it's not just police-grade pepper-spray in a jar!)

Dievas' Salsa Calliente

Ingredients:

2 Cups Chopped Ripe Habanero Peppers
4 Cups Chopped Cubano Peppers
1 Pint Apple Cider Vinegar
1 Pint Lime Juice
2-29 Oz. Cans of Heavy Tomato Puree

Instructions:
Chop peppers-seeds included in food processor
Mix all ingredients in 6 Qt pot
Bring to boil
Simmer (covered) for one hour
Cool & bottle

Yields:
~1 US Gallon

WARNING:
*MUST BE COOKED IN A WELL VENTILATED AREA*
*DO NOT OPEN POT WHILE IT'S SIMMERING*
Jonas

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:43 pm

Yum!
Your vantage point determines what you can see.

GJenkinsXoXo

Re: Fine Food Recipes!

Post by GJenkinsXoXo » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:11 am

Mark in Vancouver wrote:This seems necessary.

By all means add to this sticky.
Anyone got a tasty recipe for caviar?

I had it for the first time recently and I want more more more :)
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter.

crazzycat

Post by crazzycat » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:50 am

Graeme Robson wrote:Lemon Meringue Pie

Ingredients
For a 28cm/11in pie:

For the pastry:
225g/8oz plain flour
25g/1oz icing sugar
100g/4oz butter
1 egg, yolk only
about 2 tbsp water

For the filling:
4 large lemons
75g/3oz cornflour
570ml/1 pint water
4 egg, yolks only
175g/6oz caster sugar
For the meringue:
5 egg, whites only
225g/8oz caster sugar

Method
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
2. To make the pastry, measure the flour and sugar into a bowl and rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the egg yolk and water and work to a firm dough - this may, of course, be done in a processor. Wrap in cling film and leave to rest in the fridge for about 30 minutes.

3. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the pastry and use to line a 23cm/9in or 28cm/11in loose-bottomed, fluted flan tin. Prick the pastry lightly all over with a fork, line with greaseproof paper, fill with baking beans and bake blind in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes or until the pastry is pale golden and dried out, removing the paper and beans for the last 5 minutes.

4. Lower the oven heat to 150C/300F/Gas 2.

5. To make the filling measure 10fl oz/275ml cold water into a jug, and spoon the cornflour and sugar into a bowl. Add enough of the water to mix the cornflour to a smooth paste.

6. Pour the rest of the water, and the lemon zest into a small pan. Let this come to the boil then slowly pour it onto the cornflour, carefullly mixing it until you have a smooth paste.

7. Return the mixture to the saucepan and bring back to the boil, still mixing.

8. Simmer very gently for about one minute, stirring all the time to prevent it from catching. Then remove the pan from the heat and beat in the egg yolks, lemon juice and, finally, the sugar.

9. Pour the lemon mixture into the pastry shell and spread it out evenly.

10. For the meringue, whisk the egg whites in a large bowl with an electric whisk until they form stiff peaks. Whisk in the caster sugar, a spoonful at a time, whisking well and at a high speed between each addition. Spoon the meringue over the top of the lemon filling, spreading it out evenly and swirling it into peaks. Make sure there are no gaps.

11. Bake at the lower oven temperature for about 45 minutes for the 23cm/9in pie and about 1 hour for the 28cm/11in pie of until the meringue is crisp and pale beige on the outside and soft and marshmallowy underneath.

12. Serve warm or cold.
it looks so delicious i will try to cook it surely,tnx!
Choose cool computer wallpaper!