Silver Dollars and Pictus Ctas

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Sadielynne

Silver Dollars and Pictus Ctas

Post by Sadielynne » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:17 pm

I have 3 pictus cats in the 45 gal. tank. I added 6 silver dollars about 2 wks. ago and now I am wondering if I made a mistake, after reading that silver dollars are really quite shy! Are the pictus too lively for these fish??? :( They (the pictus) are quite active!!

Sadielynne

Re: Silver Dollars and Pictus Ctas

Post by Sadielynne » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:06 pm

All seems to be going very well!! These fish are not as shy as I thought (as I read!). The little stinkers go after the sinking pellets I put in for the pictus cats, so I put some in one end, and while the silver dollars go after it, I drop pellets in the other end for the cats!! Of course, the dollars come after that, too!!! Ha! At least they seem to be doing good and are growing!!

Diana

Post by Diana » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:10 am

A 45 sounds large enough for both species when they are young. I would make sure there is plenty of cover for the cats. Eventually the silver dollars can outgrow this tank.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Sadielynne

Post by Sadielynne » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:45 am

I assume you are talking caves, etc.? I probably need to add something additional! There is a big tree stump, that is accessible, but I am not sure if they go in it! They are pretty lively! will the silver dollars bother them, as time goes on??

Diana

Post by Diana » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:26 pm

Arching wood or stacked rock to make some caves would be a nice addition.

I do not know if the Silver Dollars will bother them. My tanks are planted, and I have avoided SD because of their reputation for destroying plants.
Pictus sure are nice, though! Active, flashy fish.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!