White dot in my loaches eye

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

CattusMaximus

White dot in my loaches eye

Post by CattusMaximus » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:32 am

Hi all.
I'm new to the forum and new to being a loach owner. We've had our hillstream 'Cattus Maximus' for about 6 months now and love him/her dearly. What I've noticed is that it has a white dot in one of it's eyes. Could be in both, but pretty sure it's just in one. I've taken a picture and hope someone knows what it is and that it's nothing too serious.
Thanks in advance.
Here's the pic: http://postimg.org/image/ayxcob0vl/

mikev

Re: White dot in my loaches eye

Post by mikev » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:44 am

Photo is not clear enough, but usually white dot in the eye indicates cataracts. Not entirely curable (just like with humans), often age-related, but things can be done to alleviate the condition.

Maybe take a few better photos to make sure and talk to member "Sarcasm Included" on the rainbow-fish.org forum, he dealt successfully with someone else's white dot issue in a clown loach just last month.

CattusMaximus

Re: White dot in my loaches eye

Post by CattusMaximus » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:45 am

Thanks so much for your reply @mikev - much appreciated.
It's hard to get a good pic of our loach (quite skittish) but I've managed to get a better look the last few days and the dot is definitely only in one eye. Seems to be healthy enough other than that though .. so I'm happy that it's probably just a cataract.
I'll check out the rainbow-fish.org forum and ask Sarcasm Included what magic it was that he worked earlier.
Thanks again!