Clown loach: Huge subcutaneous "bubbles"

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Mac6737

Clown loach: Huge subcutaneous "bubbles"

Post by Mac6737 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:53 pm

I'm new here; this is my first post.

I have a 90 gallon planted discus tank, with 3 clown loaches as part of the cleanup crew. The biggest (about 7 years old) has lately developed ENORMOUS bags on his underside. I mean ENORMOUS -- the size of his head. This is not "bloat." It looks like someone has injected air (or water) under his skin. He can swim OK, and has no popeye, but he is not eating and has been holding himself vertical on occasion. Anyway, he is not his old self. None of the other fish in the tank is affected.

What on earth is this?

My parameters are all excellent, but I have isolated him and begun treatment today with Maracyn-2. But that's just guesswork, without a diagnosis.

I guess you can't post pix here, but I have a good one.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Mac6737
Bethesda, MD, USA

atmichaels

Re: Clown loach: Huge subcutaneous "bubbles"

Post by atmichaels » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:00 pm

Welcome! Sorry to hear about your trouble. A pic would be great, I use a hosting site like photobucket.
Austen
Currently keeping: gastromyzon spp., hypergastromyzon humilis, pseudogastromyzon sp., sewellia spp., ambastaia sidthimunki, homaloptera spp., serpenticobitis octozona, Yaoshania pachychilus. As well as various catfish, loricarids, livebearers and tetras.

Mac6737

Re: Clown loach: Huge subcutaneous "bubbles"

Post by Mac6737 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:12 pm

atmichaels:

I was going to upload a pic on Picasa, but then I found one from this forum that's exactly like my fish:

https://www.google.com/search?q=clown+l ... NS8pvZM%3A

This was in 2008. Nobody knew what it was, and the end of the thread just said the bubble popped and the fish was still alive.