Dying loaches

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

The Angry Loach

Dying loaches

Post by The Angry Loach » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:07 am

Hi there guys. I'm saddened to tell you that two of my loaches have died quite recently. But I am left clueless as to why. Here's some tank info:

Tank size; 180gallons (6' long by 3' tall by a depth of 2'+)
Tank mates; 1 Black minnow shark, 5 bala sharks, 1 chinese algae eater, 11 khuli loaches, 2 corydoras, 1 sun loach, 2 rainbow fish, 6 tiger barbs, and 9 clown loaches.
Water parameters; pH is 7.5, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 40 nitrate (natural waters here are screwed)
Tank temp is currently at 77.6 degrees Fahrenheit.
Substrate is pea pebble and is siphoned and a 30% water change is done every month

So here is what you need to know. One of my younger clowns died off a few days ago. It had been floating close to the heater, but clowns do silly things, so I didn't think much of it. But just a few days later it had died. This particular loach was about 1 year old. Today, one of my 2 year-olds had died out of the blue. I found it with an extended and popped belly, but hadn't seen it prior to this looking ill. We have had no new arrivals and no drastic tank changes, so I'm not sure why they died and I was wondering if you guys had any ideas.
I liek feesh. And yes, I drew that xD

The Angry Loach

Re: Dying loaches

Post by The Angry Loach » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:36 am

We have an update on symptoms. I now have a tiger barb that hangs. Face down, fanny up. He paddles quickly when he does this and goes pale. His anus also appears to be red or inflamed. No other symptoms to report yet. Hopefully we won't have any losses while i'm out of state for a few days. And yes, I have a sitter for the zoo.
I liek feesh. And yes, I drew that xD