12 pcs clown loach in 4x2x2 tank?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

squid

12 pcs clown loach in 4x2x2 tank?

Post by squid » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:32 am

]What do you guys think, will it be ok to keep 12 inch clown loach in a 120 gallon tank? i have 12 pcs clown loaches ranging from 4-7 inches in my bigger 8 feet tank, planning tomove them to smaller tank and give my rays the bigger tank.

you guys think the loaches will be ok with the smaller tank?
both tank has sump filtration.

Diana

Re: 12 pcs clown loach in 4x2x2 tank?

Post by Diana » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:33 am

Stocking bottom oriented fish depends on the shape of the tank. What is the footprint of the tank?

Maybe a fish up to 6" in the 120, but I sure would not put any larger fish in there, and certainly not a dozen Clown Loaches about that size. Get another 8' or larger tank for that many Loaches.

The sump will help, basically adds volume to the water, but it does not count as swimming space.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:51 pm

@ Diana - I think it is 4 *2 feet. Large enough, in my eyes for 12 10 cm clowns, but not larger.

In other words, before getitng the fishes, arrange a good home for them for after the 2 to 3 years they need to grow to that size

squid

Post by squid » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:58 pm

Thanks , can they be kept with stingrays?:) i've had somemofy clownloaches for
More than 5 years already inthink evwn longer :) can they be mixed with small rays? Mybrays are about 7 invhes.
Also anybody here has kept clown loaches in fishpond? I have a pond but ive never seen them
Kept in pond yet

Diana

Post by Diana » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:26 pm

I think a pond is possible, in a tropical country like yours. Can you keep the water warm, but well aerated?

Sorry, I did not see the dimensions of the tank in the title.
No, larger Clown Loaches (or any other fish) are not OK in a tank that is only 4' long.

They might be OK with rays. Are your Clowns really into digging? Some are more diggers than others. I don't think I would put fish that really like to dig with rays.

Happy fish keeping!

squid

Post by squid » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:08 am

Diana wrote:I think a pond is possible, in a tropical country like yours. Can you keep the water warm, but well aerated?

Sorry, I did not see the dimensions of the tank in the title.
No, larger Clown Loaches (or any other fish) are not OK in a tank that is only 4' long.

They might be OK with rays. Are your Clowns really into digging? Some are more diggers than others. I don't think I would put fish that really like to dig with rays.

thanks :) Yup fishpond doesnt get really cold, my worry is they seem to like to go into pipes and my fishpond has a bottom drain. my worry is they might like to go into that and get sucked into my filter chamber.

mmmm maybe i'll move the smaller loaches into the 4 foot tank first, then leave the bigger loaches in the bigger tank and move my rays too.
just hope they dont pick on the rays , since the rays are only 6-7 inchers.

Diana

Post by Diana » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:58 am

You could get a really nice school of Zebra Loaches in a 4' long tank. Then you could also add some upper or mid level fish, too.

The pipe outlet to the pond filter would indeed be a big concern with any sort of bottom feeding fish. Any way to screen it off without compromising the flow?

Happy fish keeping!

squid

Post by squid » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:19 am