LIVE BRINE SHRIMP

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

BlueLoach

LIVE BRINE SHRIMP

Post by BlueLoach » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:58 pm

Has anyone used these for their loaches? My main concern is the salty water needed for them to live in. I'm assuming the shrimp would need to be removed from the hatchery and rinsed before feeding to the loaches. Is this correct? Any recommendations for an easy setup?

Diana

Re: LIVE BRINE SHRIMP

Post by Diana » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:18 pm

No need to rinse. The tiny bit of salt that enters the aquarium is nothing.

I have raised them in a 1 liter volume container with an air pump, pretty small, slow.
The best quantity was when I kept the container warm. I did this by sinking it up to its rim in a brackish water tank. That way, any salty bubbles that overflowed were no problem. I would harvest by pouring the water with the shrimp through a shrimp net. The water never entered the fresh water aquarium, except for the amount on the net.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:42 am

I would be carefull feeding Artemia too often.

Many fishes find shrimps in their habitat, and these are good food. However, allmost all shrimps are contained in a hardy shell, but Artemia are not.

Artemia live in areas almost without any animals living there, and therefore they do not need a hardy shell anymore to defend them from predators. But these shells are needed by our fishes to aid in digesting them.

If one would feed Artemia too often, fish could get bloat. Now I never heard of bloat in a loach, but I would not want to be the first having that.

Personally, I would think feeding Artemia once or twice a week is fine, but more often? I would not do it

Dojosmama

Post by Dojosmama » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:57 pm

I use frozen brine shrimp for my Dojos and other community fish. I let it thaw in a plastic cup until it's soft and mushy, then put it into the tank. I've had Dojos devour it almost instantly, and there's enough in a frozen cube so that everyone gets some. What falls to the substrate the Dojos eat, as well as the large Amano shrimp.

I also like to give them a variety of frozen food choices via a multi-pack which contains several different frozen fish foods. I also give them frozen blood worms.

I don't use live food. Frozen is just as good, and easier to work with.