New Yasuhikotakia sp. ?!

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Greek

New Yasuhikotakia sp. ?!

Post by Greek » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:28 am

Hello everybody!
Have You seen THAT: http://www.aquarium-glaser.de/en/news.php?news_id=1565 ?
What a stunning loach! Some say that it can be Y. lecontei. I'm not pretty sure. Yep - the stripes can suggest lecontei - but they usually have a greenish-greyish shade of it. Those have a golden shade! Only here, on photo no.4 we can see something similar to those mysterious loaches: http://ffish.asia/?p=none&o=ss&id=647
Of course stripes can suggest also skunks or Y. longidorsalis (maybe it can be this rare species?).
Generally for me the front part of their body is too massive to be a typical lecontei - it's just more similar to skunks.
From the other hand the golden shine looks like as straightly taken out from Y. splendida :P But the dorsal fin of splendidas is located more in the back of the body. Those species (as lecontei do!) have base of the dorsal fin almost exactly in the middle of their standard body length.
It's a pity that we'll probably lose an opportunity to follow a growth of those loaches (as it was with laos tigers) :(

Greek!

Greek

Re: New Yasuhikotakia sp. ?!

Post by Greek » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:04 am

Hey!

I've just received those mystery loaches :D About one week ago.
Now they are in quarantine tank. Still shy and they are hiding. They eat well, but especially in the night, however i see the more and more activity in the day.
Please check out the photos:

One with darker coloration:

This one seems to have "tall" body, but some of them are more elongated like typical lecontei

On those two photos I was trying to show the coloration od the dorsal (and a little bit on a caudal) fin. It has clear dark markings on it.

Sorry for poor quality of the photos - I haven't got a good equipment to take photos, and this tank has only the natural light, because it is standing near the window.

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:22 am

As far as the pics look like anything, the fishes could be a Syncrossus species I would say

Greek

Post by Greek » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:39 am

IMO there is no doubt that it is Yasuhikotakia sp. - the general body shape is more "taller" than shape of all Syncrossus spp.. The nose of all tigers is always sharp-ended. What's more those have 7-8 branched dorsal fin rays, while tigers have always more of them.
The thing is to identify which species of Yasuhikotakia genus but it will take some time to observe how they will change during growth :)

Sorry - I don't know why the photos are cutted. But do the right-click, copy address of the picture, then paste and You get the full size.

Greek

Post by Greek » Fri May 05, 2017 1:55 pm

Some new photos

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Sun May 07, 2017 12:28 pm

Nice fish! As with many of the botia-type loaches, the pattern changes as they mature, so maybe you will know more in a few months.