male loaches mating

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

dawn

male loaches mating

Post by dawn » Wed May 03, 2017 10:53 pm

Hi Jim,
I have three loaches, 2 males and 1 female. I think my male loach just (i dont know how else to phrase this) spermed in the tank. When they do, does it look like smoke coming out of their bottoms? Also, would she have laid her eggs before his does that or maybe afterword? I cant find the eggs. They are all swimming fine. I keep watching to see they go to the same spot to try to eat the eggs if they are there. The male is Spitfire and "spit" about 3 different times right in a row. Cant wait to hear what you have to say.

Thanks
Dawn
I don't think my posts or messages are making it to the person I am sending them to

NancyD

Re: male loaches mating

Post by NancyD » Fri May 05, 2017 10:23 pm

What kind of loaches do you think you have? I'm surprised a male would do "that" without a female being ready to spawn nearby. Tell us more about your tank & fish please.

redshark1

Post by redshark1 » Tue May 09, 2017 4:03 pm

Dawn's other post mentions Weather Loaches / Dojo. I do not keep these.
6 x Clown Loaches all 30 years of age on 01.01.2024, largest 11.5", 2 large females, 4 smaller males, aquarium 6' x 18" x 18" 400 ltr/90 uk gal/110 US gal. approx.

BlueLoach

Post by BlueLoach » Fri May 26, 2017 9:16 pm

Dawn,
When dojo/weather loaches mate, they usually parallel swim and then the male will wrap around the female. Mine have done that on several occasions but I never got any babies because the other fish in the tank (Rainbows and Angelfish) would eat most, if not all, of the eggs being released.