Determining the Sex of my Dojo?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

DRIFTER

Determining the Sex of my Dojo?

Post by DRIFTER » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:48 pm

Hey all, new to the forums, hope to stick around awhile. I've always owned loaches, in particular dojos and kuhlis for years. However, I've never known their sexes. (just named 'em whatever I thought fit lol) I had a green and dark green speckled dojo/weather loach for 7 YEARS until he(?) died.

Now, after about a year and a half of my tank being barren, I've gotten a new silver/blueish silver dojo loach. He/she is very active, and I wish to get a golden dojo loach to go along as a pair. What I need to know is how to tell their sexes, so that I may know what sex I already have, and get the opposite.

I've read that males' pectoral fins are longer/more triangular in shape, but seeing as I don't have any other loaches to compare with right now, I was hoping someone had some decent PICTURES of male and female differences.

Thanks in advance all,
Jesse

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:21 pm

Hi Jesse, and welcome to Loaches Online! :D

I have a few pictures which might be helpful, in fact I should probably add them into my Weather Loach (Dojo) article on the site when I get time.

First off, here are a male and female golden Weather Loach (Misgurnus anguillicaudatus) together:

Here is a 'standard colour' male Weather Loach as viewed from above - note just how large and triangular shaped the pectoral fins are:

And for comparison, a female golden Weather Loach - the fins are much smaller and more rounded:

Hope this is useful,

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

starsplitter7

Dojo Loaches

Post by starsplitter7 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:31 am

Hi Emma,

Thanks for the pictures of the male and female Dojos. I have four, and it turns out 2 of each -- gold and brown and male and female of each. Like Jesse, I have always wondered if they were male or female. Please do add the pictures to the Dojo page. They are my favorite loaches, although I love all my loaches. :)

Thank you so much. Tanja.

DRIFTER

Post by DRIFTER » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:23 pm

Thanks very much for the photos, Emma. I do believe that I have a beautiful baby female loach. Is it possible to tell their sexes when they are only 1 and a half inches in length? I ask because that's about how big my little one is. I will post a picture if I get the chance, maybe y'all can tell me what sex you think it is. Again, thanks for the photos.

MoonPye

Post by MoonPye » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:52 pm

Wow, awesome pictures! Thanks so much for posting them!!
~Monica in NEPA ~ We got Dojo Mojo!
Mom to 3 humans, one dog, one cat, and many fish

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:17 pm

Glad to be of help! :D
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

puks

Re: Determining the Sex of my Dojo?

Post by puks » Sat May 04, 2019 4:18 pm

Can you help to identify the Sex of my Dojo, please?

ImageImageImageImageImage

Sorry, it's difficult to make a good picture because it's almost always moving :)

Thank you

Dojosmama

Post by Dojosmama » Sat May 11, 2019 8:34 pm

I believe females are fatter than males, or maybe just fuller-bodied.

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Sat May 11, 2019 10:07 pm

Males have longer more pointed pectoral fins. Both sexes can get "fat", lol, but females more so.