My 240g tank journal

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

crazy loaches

Post by crazy loaches » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:46 pm

Painting the tank. It was my first time painting a tank so I decided on latex that would come off easy.

The first couple coats went on very thin. The pic doesn't really show it well, but I was really worried how many coats it would take. I didn't take any more pics till it was done but it was like 6 coats.

.....and finally a few days later:
Tank is finally out of the garage and on the stand! It was a bit of a production getting it from garage to family room despite the move being only about 25 foot. There were 4 of us in all, but the hallway was to small for anyone on the sides. Two of my friends actually carried it all the way through the hallway themselves. That was a little nerve wracking. I had some rollers for the floor I figured we could roll the tank, but they wanted to carry it themselves rather than have to set it all the way down and pick it back up again from floor level.

Another pic for size reference. I'm placing the bulkheads in the overflows. Definitely not going to be easy to reach the bottom when completed, but doable. I wont be doing any low growing plants that will need frequent pruning.

The stand did end up being a little taller than I had envisioned, which will make in tank maintanence a bit harder. I think I will build a sort of scaffolding that can be setup quick when I need to get into it.

Bulkheads in. Used schedule 80 1" and 1.5" on both overflows. Just 4 of those bulkheads is over $50. Plus two bulkheads I got for the sump tank put my order like around $75 just for bulkheads. These parts do add up quick.

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:41 am

That tank looks awesome.

That reminds me of when I moved my 8ft tank inside. Unfortunately we couldn't fit it in through the hallway. So in the fishroom, we had to take out the sliding windows and move it in through the window frame. Luckily the tank is acrylic and only weights about 125 pounds.

shari2

Post by shari2 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:39 am

Nice, Tristan! The black background is lovely. Looks like it's almost big enough to swim in. Yes, it is a tall stand for such a big tank, but I bet you'll appreciate the space underneath it for all the 'goodies' you'll have room for in there. 8)
books. gotta love em!
http://www.Apaperbackexchange.com

crazy loaches

Post by crazy loaches » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:39 pm

chefkeith wrote:That tank looks awesome.

That reminds me of when I moved my 8ft tank inside. Unfortunately we couldn't fit it in through the hallway. So in the fishroom, we had to take out the sliding windows and move it in through the window frame. Luckily the tank is acrylic and only weights about 125 pounds.
Yes I remember you moving it in through the window! Actually my house has very small windows that wouldn't have worked if I tried! Just glad I got some big friends lol. Personally I am a cross country runner not a power weight lifter! I don't know how much it weighs but I was guessing over 300 pounds at least.
shari2 wrote:Nice, Tristan! The black background is lovely. Looks like it's almost big enough to swim in. Yes, it is a tall stand for such a big tank, but I bet you'll appreciate the space underneath it for all the 'goodies' you'll have room for in there. 8)
Thanks Shari! I've always liked the look of black for backgrounds - as long as you have lots of plants to focus on you don't want the background 'taking away' from the main subjects. The stand is a bit taller than I would have liked but no going back now! The big 2x8 across the top doesn't help for space either. And there will be lots of stuff packed in there dont you worry lol. I'm already running out of room quick because of my somewhat poor choices for the way I did the sumps... thats soon to come.

crazy loaches

Post by crazy loaches » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:41 pm

Oh, and I was wondering if anyone else has had troubles viewing any of the pics? Since I do run the webserver myself if anyone has any issues give me a shout through PM so I can try and catch any problems I might have quicker.

LoachOrgy

Post by LoachOrgy » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:13 pm

Wow!
All your loaches are belong to me!

crazy loaches

Post by crazy loaches » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:33 am

OK, time for something other than tank/stand pics. Here is the driftwood I ordered from Manzanita.com. I ordered the large aquarium bulk pack. Probably will only use a quarter of it, but then I can pick n choose which ones I want, and have some left over fro other tanks or trade/sell.

To soak it, I just got a couple big totes out, filled with garden hose, and changed the water every few days. Soaked for a total of about a month outside this summer.

newshound

Post by newshound » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:39 pm

OMG that is a nice large tank!
I hope the floor is supported underneath...or is it slab?
nice
currently I have so much driftwood in my living room that it is hard to move.
I am redoing one of my tanks.
my place is such a mess my gfriend will not come over LOL
drain your pool!

Rocco

Post by Rocco » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:49 pm

If you adopt me, I'll do your water changes and tank cleaning. :lol:

MoonPye

Post by MoonPye » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:45 pm

Drooling over your tank. Love it!
~Monica in NEPA ~ We got Dojo Mojo!
Mom to 3 humans, one dog, one cat, and many fish

crazy loaches

Post by crazy loaches » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:25 pm

newshound wrote:OMG that is a nice large tank!
I hope the floor is supported underneath...or is it slab?
nice
currently I have so much driftwood in my living room that it is hard to move.
I am redoing one of my tanks.
my place is such a mess my gfriend will not come over LOL
Yeah, slab floor. Estimated to weigh in at a ton and a half when fully complete (~3,000 lbs). And beleive me my place has been a mess through the time I've been setting this up, my wife is about to kill me. Its turned out to take A LOT longer to setup than I thought.
Rocco wrote:If you adopt me, I'll do your water changes and tank cleaning. :lol:
LOL, but I got me a fancy dancy controller that will automate the waterchanges, but I still could use some help cleaning.... :lol: not sure if the wife would approve though.
MoonPye wrote:Drooling over your tank. Love it!
Thanks MoonPye! I just hope it works out in the end... I dont want to dissapoint. But I've already run into one problem, and I am not hiding any problems, I'll let everyone know everything that happens. This is my first big tank and my first all DIY (well except for tha actual tank), so despite looking like I might now what I am doing, it has been a big learning experience.

The one issue is the tank is slightly off level. Its just a hair my floor might be off and a slightly larger hair my stand is off. The stand measures about 1/16th off across end to end, maybe just slightly more but less than 1/8" total. Doesnt sound like a big deal across an eight foot span. But by setting it on carpet which is compressable and the 1" foam, it equates out to about 1/4" across eight feet (for the waterline). Again doesnt sound to bad... except my tank uses overflows. I did a test fill the other day and one overflow was taking 75% of the flow and the other 25% (well thats just a guess, one was a lot more than the other basically). And with the decent size pump I am using I appear to be maxing the one drain out. Not a big deal I can throttle back the pump slightly. So hopefully this problem wont actually be a problem, because now the tank is on the stand and full of water, it wont be coming off the stand unless its going into a new house.
Last edited by crazy loaches on Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MoonPye

Post by MoonPye » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:07 pm

I swear, I feel like i'm holding my breath waiting for your tank to be complete. I was a nervous wreck just setting up my 55 gal in the livingroom (worrying about level tank and floor support, leaking once all the water was in it.. etc) I think I'd be out of my mind with a tank your size. Still wouldn't stop me from doing it though! :wink:

Oh I wish you the very best with the whole project. I really admire all you DIY guys and your beautiful set ups. I'm sure it's going to all be worth it. How wonderful to come home and be able to space out / de-stress in front of a tank that size. :D

I'd gladly put up with a mess if my husband were doing this project!
~Monica in NEPA ~ We got Dojo Mojo!
Mom to 3 humans, one dog, one cat, and many fish

TeeCeeJay

Post by TeeCeeJay » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:46 pm

I love the woodwork, it will look even better I'm sure once it's aged and soaked and in situ, etc..

Having seen yours and some of the other great self-builds on this forum, I'm thinking of changing my signature to....
"One of these days, Mine'll look like theirs!"
Everyone has a photographic memory, some have just run out of film.

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:14 pm

Holy suh-moley! Is that tank huge! I understand the nature of your stand and bracing much better now. I'd be worried what was under the slab floor.

Great pictures. I can't wait to see it full.
Your vantage point determines what you can see.

crazy loaches

Post by crazy loaches » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:26 pm

MoonPye wrote:I swear, I feel like i'm holding my breath waiting for your tank to be complete. I was a nervous wreck just setting up my 55 gal in the livingroom (worrying about level tank and floor support, leaking once all the water was in it.. etc) I think I'd be out of my mind with a tank your size. Still wouldn't stop me from doing it though! :wink:
Thanks MoonPye, I think sometimes I am a bit too daring and it gets me in trouble... lets hope this tank doesnt end up being one of those!
TeeCeeJay wrote:I love the woodwork, it will look even better I'm sure once it's aged and soaked and in situ, etc..

Having seen yours and some of the other great self-builds on this forum, I'm thinking of changing my signature to....
"One of these days, Mine'll look like theirs!"
Thanks TCJ, I hope the manzanita will look at home eventually. I did try the other day to put a few pieces in to give me an idea but I was struggling with the long skinny branchy shape of the manzanita compared to the large chunky malaysian wood I am used to. Most of it will eventually be covered in moss I am thinking.
Mark in Vancouver wrote:Holy suh-moley! Is that tank huge! I understand the nature of your stand and bracing much better now. I'd be worried what was under the slab floor.

Great pictures. I can't wait to see it full.
Thanks Mark, I just hope no animals were harmed in my making this tank :wink:

I dont beleive there should be any issues with the slab floor. I mean my house (a common bi-level design around here) has a garage as half the lower level and I dont think the slab on the garage side is any thicker (but I could be wrong) so being that vehicles park on it which is a lot of weight in the small area of the tire/floor contact then my 8'x2' footprint should be fine.