My 240g tank journal

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

crazy loaches

Post by crazy loaches » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:33 am

OK, time for something other than tank/stand pics. Here is the driftwood I ordered from Manzanita.com. I ordered the large aquarium bulk pack. Probably will only use a quarter of it, but then I can pick n choose which ones I want, and have some left over fro other tanks or trade/sell.

To soak it, I just got a couple big totes out, filled with garden hose, and changed the water every few days. Soaked for a total of about a month outside this summer.

newshound

Post by newshound » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:39 pm

OMG that is a nice large tank!
I hope the floor is supported underneath...or is it slab?
nice
currently I have so much driftwood in my living room that it is hard to move.
I am redoing one of my tanks.
my place is such a mess my gfriend will not come over LOL
drain your pool!

Rocco

Post by Rocco » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:49 pm

If you adopt me, I'll do your water changes and tank cleaning. :lol:

MoonPye

Post by MoonPye » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:45 pm

Drooling over your tank. Love it!
~Monica in NEPA ~ We got Dojo Mojo!
Mom to 3 humans, one dog, one cat, and many fish

crazy loaches

Post by crazy loaches » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:25 pm

newshound wrote:OMG that is a nice large tank!
I hope the floor is supported underneath...or is it slab?
nice
currently I have so much driftwood in my living room that it is hard to move.
I am redoing one of my tanks.
my place is such a mess my gfriend will not come over LOL
Yeah, slab floor. Estimated to weigh in at a ton and a half when fully complete (~3,000 lbs). And beleive me my place has been a mess through the time I've been setting this up, my wife is about to kill me. Its turned out to take A LOT longer to setup than I thought.
Rocco wrote:If you adopt me, I'll do your water changes and tank cleaning. :lol:
LOL, but I got me a fancy dancy controller that will automate the waterchanges, but I still could use some help cleaning.... :lol: not sure if the wife would approve though.
MoonPye wrote:Drooling over your tank. Love it!
Thanks MoonPye! I just hope it works out in the end... I dont want to dissapoint. But I've already run into one problem, and I am not hiding any problems, I'll let everyone know everything that happens. This is my first big tank and my first all DIY (well except for tha actual tank), so despite looking like I might now what I am doing, it has been a big learning experience.

The one issue is the tank is slightly off level. Its just a hair my floor might be off and a slightly larger hair my stand is off. The stand measures about 1/16th off across end to end, maybe just slightly more but less than 1/8" total. Doesnt sound like a big deal across an eight foot span. But by setting it on carpet which is compressable and the 1" foam, it equates out to about 1/4" across eight feet (for the waterline). Again doesnt sound to bad... except my tank uses overflows. I did a test fill the other day and one overflow was taking 75% of the flow and the other 25% (well thats just a guess, one was a lot more than the other basically). And with the decent size pump I am using I appear to be maxing the one drain out. Not a big deal I can throttle back the pump slightly. So hopefully this problem wont actually be a problem, because now the tank is on the stand and full of water, it wont be coming off the stand unless its going into a new house.
Last edited by crazy loaches on Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MoonPye

Post by MoonPye » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:07 pm

I swear, I feel like i'm holding my breath waiting for your tank to be complete. I was a nervous wreck just setting up my 55 gal in the livingroom (worrying about level tank and floor support, leaking once all the water was in it.. etc) I think I'd be out of my mind with a tank your size. Still wouldn't stop me from doing it though! :wink:

Oh I wish you the very best with the whole project. I really admire all you DIY guys and your beautiful set ups. I'm sure it's going to all be worth it. How wonderful to come home and be able to space out / de-stress in front of a tank that size. :D

I'd gladly put up with a mess if my husband were doing this project!
~Monica in NEPA ~ We got Dojo Mojo!
Mom to 3 humans, one dog, one cat, and many fish

TeeCeeJay

Post by TeeCeeJay » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:46 pm

I love the woodwork, it will look even better I'm sure once it's aged and soaked and in situ, etc..

Having seen yours and some of the other great self-builds on this forum, I'm thinking of changing my signature to....
"One of these days, Mine'll look like theirs!"
Everyone has a photographic memory, some have just run out of film.

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:14 pm

Holy suh-moley! Is that tank huge! I understand the nature of your stand and bracing much better now. I'd be worried what was under the slab floor.

Great pictures. I can't wait to see it full.
Your vantage point determines what you can see.

crazy loaches

Post by crazy loaches » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:26 pm

MoonPye wrote:I swear, I feel like i'm holding my breath waiting for your tank to be complete. I was a nervous wreck just setting up my 55 gal in the livingroom (worrying about level tank and floor support, leaking once all the water was in it.. etc) I think I'd be out of my mind with a tank your size. Still wouldn't stop me from doing it though! :wink:
Thanks MoonPye, I think sometimes I am a bit too daring and it gets me in trouble... lets hope this tank doesnt end up being one of those!
TeeCeeJay wrote:I love the woodwork, it will look even better I'm sure once it's aged and soaked and in situ, etc..

Having seen yours and some of the other great self-builds on this forum, I'm thinking of changing my signature to....
"One of these days, Mine'll look like theirs!"
Thanks TCJ, I hope the manzanita will look at home eventually. I did try the other day to put a few pieces in to give me an idea but I was struggling with the long skinny branchy shape of the manzanita compared to the large chunky malaysian wood I am used to. Most of it will eventually be covered in moss I am thinking.
Mark in Vancouver wrote:Holy suh-moley! Is that tank huge! I understand the nature of your stand and bracing much better now. I'd be worried what was under the slab floor.

Great pictures. I can't wait to see it full.
Thanks Mark, I just hope no animals were harmed in my making this tank :wink:

I dont beleive there should be any issues with the slab floor. I mean my house (a common bi-level design around here) has a garage as half the lower level and I dont think the slab on the garage side is any thicker (but I could be wrong) so being that vehicles park on it which is a lot of weight in the small area of the tire/floor contact then my 8'x2' footprint should be fine.

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:16 am

Concrete won't budge. At one point recently I lived on the 8th floor of an apartment building with nearly 200 gallons of water in various tanks. And Vancouver gets earthquakes! A solid slab would be ideal.

You can make beautiful loach music with a tank that size. I'm totally jealous - and amazed to see someone making their hobby/obsession into reality. You've got fans now. Keep the camera going.
Your vantage point determines what you can see.

loachmom

Post by loachmom » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:33 am

Well, finally, I get to see the pictures on this thread. I was having computer problems, and Tristan kindly helped me through them.

What a great project! and a great photo journal! The tank is enormous..even larger than I imagined. And I really like the black background and the driftwood. I'm looking forward to the rest of the project!!
Thanks for sharing this with us. :)

crazy loaches

Post by crazy loaches » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:28 pm

Thanks Loachmaom, lets just hope your computer can continue to work right and not revert to its earlier state!

Ok time to start the plumbing. Here are a few pics:

Various plumbing parts. This is actually a fraction of what I ended up using (partly because I ripped out half of the plumbing 3-4 times because I've changed the pumps and design). I bet I have $200+ in just pvc parts. Sickening really, and I could have gotten by with a lot less had I had a good design to start with, oh well.

Durso style standpipes. Seems to be the common way to make a standpipe with lower noise and less co2 loss. After I made these I found there was a couple other methods too, the stockman standpipe and also a totally silent but touchy setup that draws no air (complete siphon) the Herbie Method. I'd have tried that if I hadnt already done most the plumbing. Maybe next time.

Spraybars:
Mocking up some spraybars. I was undecided on how to plumb the returns and eventually decided on spraybars that crossed the whole tank nearer the bottom. The idea is since the intake is at the top (overflows that skim the surface) I want a good current coming from across the bottom then up to the top. On the little space between the overflows and the ends I also ran a smaller vertical spray bar just so there was a dead spot.

Painting them black so they disappear against the black background (I hope).

Hopefully tomorrow or soon I'll post the rest of the plumbing pics. I have it pretty much complete just working on getting the tank full and running, and uploading pics yet. But with the holiday and my work schedule, not sure how much I'll get done on the tank for a week or two...

crazy loaches

Post by crazy loaches » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:50 pm

One last update before I'm gone for the weekend... To continue with the plumbing theme I'll start with the sump:

This is what I should have really thought of more before building the stand, so I could have built in specific room for the sump, which I sort of did but took no measurements or even decided how big I wanted the sump. One thing I definitely wanted was the ability to take the sump tank in or out if needed. So on the stand I designed the two outer section to be wider to accommodate this. But I was left with some odd dimensions and couldn’t get a common tank to fit. But I was thinking of just using a Rubbermaid or similar tote anyhow. But I just couldn’t find one to fit the space efficiently until I went to the Container Store. They had about the perfect size to fit the end compartments in my stand - a 33g. Was a little pricey there but decided it was the easiest way to go. I also wanted plenty of volume so I could do water changes out of the sump easily, and since my stand would accommodate two, I decided to go with two, and that would provide the shortest possible plumbing with each sump under the bulkheads on each end. Each sump would have its own return pump. if needed I could shut down one and just use the other too, like for an extended cleaning, etc. The only problem would be balance, so I put a bulkhead in each and connected them together - if one was filling faster than the other the extra would level out through the connecting pipe. Well all this was the original idea, I’ve changed it somewhat since, but will show the pics and explain it as it really happened.

The 33g tote. Since this is going to be in the cooler room in the house, on slab floor, and against the outside wall, I am insulating everything I can to make it more thermally efficient. So I got some foam insulation and am lining the sump tanks as well as the base and back of the display tank.

The bulkhead I put in the side of each tank to connect them together.

Sump tank in the stand. I lined (but not stapled in place yet) the whole bottom of the stand with heavy gauge black plastic lining to hopefully catch the stray splash of water so it doesn’t soak into the carpet underneath.

There is a small amount of bowing [expected] and I think I will also add some bracing to prevent the bowing later. I cut a slot in the foam in the front and am going to mark the sump level with gallonage marks.

I probably could have custom built the whole thing from acrylic but I was hoping this would save time and money, at least since I wasn’t going to mess with chambers and baffles, etc. The sump is merely a holding tank of water. I plan on putting a large 250 micron media bag over the drain outlet to catch debris, and sort of visible in the last pic I am going to make filter boxes the return pumps will be sucking through, with a large piece of floss and some bio media inside. Hopefully this will be easy to maintain. Time will tell. And I apologize if this looks kind of ghetto rigged, with duck tape and all... lol

Diana

Post by Diana » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:12 am

I used under gravel plates to support and separate various filter media in my sump. Water falls into it in the left rear corner, bubbles through some bacteria media that is held in a mesh bag that onions came in, then goes through several densities of sponge and floss. UGF plates sandwiching it all together (well, not the biological stuff). The pump is on the far right, and is connected to the return with a flexible hose. That way I can move the pump without having to disconnect it to clean under it. It is easy to disconnect, too, because I put a union in the return line, high enough up that I can pull the whole box out if needed. I also used an extra sturdy storage box as a sump, it is around 20 gallons if it is full of water, but it keeps evaporating.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

crazy loaches

Post by crazy loaches » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:45 pm

Here are some pics of the filter boxes I am making. The idea here is sticking with the tote theme. I have some mechanical filtration that will be a media bag on the drain outflow in the sump. But I thought about making something like the pond filters, that are just a big filter box on the intake of a fountain pump. So on my return pump I will plumb the intake into a tote that will have a filter floss pad as well as bio media inside. Simple, and hopefully easy to maintain.

There will be two of these... one in each sump:

Tote with lid cut.

Return pump is a Quiet One 4000. Used a union for easy disassembly. Intake is plumbed into box and has a T, holes will be drilled around these.

A piece of eggcrate cut to fit perfectly into the lip in the tote.

Some good cheap bio media... pot scrubbers. A 3 pack was under $1.

Completed filter box.

Time will tell how long it takes for the floss to clog, I am hoping to not have to replace it too often. My goal is once a month or longer for maintenance that requires me to actually do something :wink:. If it clogs too fast I might make a larger box. Or the other option I was contemplating was two layers, a more coarse filter pad on top of the floss maybe...