Helen's new loach Hilton

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Emma Turner

Helen's new loach Hilton

Post by Emma Turner » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:54 pm

Today we drove over to Helen's and had a fun afternoon moving all the contents and equipment over from her old loach tank in the kitchen to a brand new bigger tank in the lounge. :D Her house is really beautiful and in such a lovely area (Mark you would love the big kitchen windows for bird watching). I was hoping to see the peacocks but they didn't appear in the rain. Anyway....Helen's tanks and fish were a superb sight and although I think she was a little bit worried about moving them, she needn't have been as all went smoothly. 8) Basically, seeing as both Hels and I are on the short side, and both old and new tanks are fairly high, we were able to boss Steve about and get him to do most of the hard work, he he! :lol: This provided an ideal opportunity to have a closer look at the loaches, in particular the wildly patterned Botia striata and the XL Botia almorhae. We put a ruler in the polybox to get a measurement of the big Botias, and I also managed to put a few specimens in one of my photo tanks, although you will appreciate the fish are greyed out compared to their normal dark markings.

This is the boss of the tank, a gravid Botia striata:

Here is the absolutely amazingly patterned B. striata (different both sides), a slightly smaller specimen:

It's a shame the loach moved forward just as I took this. I kept the pic because it shows how the beautiful markings carry onto the leading edge of the dorsal fin:

Betsy & Bertha (I'm not sure which one's which). The largest one appears to be 6" TL exactly:

The markings on these two are incredible (even when looking down on them) and my pics here do not do them justice!

One of them waving at the camera:

And the other one (this is the bigger one):

I may take lots of fish pics, but I always have trouble taking full tank shots. Here is Helen's new tank complete with all the contents and equipment of the old tank. We saved all the water from the old tank and did not realise how short on water we would be! Helen's RO unit had an airlock yesterday - which Steve has now sorted - and so we didn't have any new RO water to top up the new tank with today (but this won't matter as Helen can top it up over the next couple of days).

We just put all the bogwood and plants in randomly as we thought it best to get everything done as quickly as possible today. Hels can move it about at a later date - besides the loaches didn't mind! :wink:

And finally a shot of me and Helen relaxing after it was all finished:

Helen, thank you so much for the flowers and Steve says thank you for the chocolates - you know you really shouldn't have!

I am sure Hels will give us plenty of updates on how the fish are taking to their new home, and hopefully some more pics. :wink:

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:12 pm

Exciting day it must of been. The fish and aquarium look great .

helen nightingale

Post by helen nightingale » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:18 pm

thanks Emma, the pictures came out really well :D you have nothing to worry about your whole-tank photo skills.

its Betsy thats waving at us. she was quite cross! in the pictures of them both togeter, you can see that betsy has one barbel on the front set. its a good way to tell them apart. also, she is blind in one eye, so sometimes she swims around the tank sideways, like she is inspecting the tank bottom with her good eye.

so far there has been no fighting, hopefully they got that out their system yesterday. there has been lots of exploring, and strangely, the harlequin rasboras and the R. ennealepis decided to explore the tank in 2 separate shoals.

I owe the biggests of thankyou's to Emma and Steve! they were fantastic

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:41 pm

Lovely to see a group project unfold. Even lovelier knowing the two involved (and... ahem... I'm assuming Steve is also lovely... Er...)

That striata is a show stopper, Hels. My envy runneth over.
Your vantage point determines what you can see.

Botia Robert

Post by Botia Robert » Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:57 am

Those Botia get me every time. :lol: Thats some awesome almorhae!

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:08 am

Gorgeous!!

And the Loaches are not bad either!! :wink:

fish_frenzy

Post by fish_frenzy » Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:15 am

Gorgeous Botias! Seems the Striatas parents were from the sixties, what an amazing pattern! I love the Yo-yos too! I have 5 about that size and my friend has the largest Yo-yo I have ever seen! He is almost 11 inches (one day...he WILL be mine!)

Tammy
Looney for Loaches!

daspricey

Post by daspricey » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:56 am

Absolutely stunning fish Helen!!! Excellent photos as usual as well Emma!

Auntsally

Post by Auntsally » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:45 am

Fantastic set up and what beautiful fish! What size tank is that? Looks very impressive and every inch a Hilton

Munkee

Post by Munkee » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:23 am

Stunning fish Helen! Lovely photos as always Emma. :D
"For one to fly you need only take the reins." Author Unknown

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:17 am

:shock: :shock: 8)

andre

Post by andre » Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:37 pm

Superb!!!!

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:06 pm

You guys look so happy ,Where are the purps Helen ? I barely recognized you :wink: You'll see a growth spurt on yer fish now.... 8) 8)

Doc

Post by Doc » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:17 pm

Superb looking fish there. Some lovely and unusual patterns. Hope all goes well as they settle in to the new abode. :D

Now onto this..
fish_frenzy wrote: my friend has the largest Yo-yo I have ever seen! He is almost 11 inches
This I have to admit has me intrigued... Pictures please 8)
So many species of fish yet so little time, space and money to keep them all...

fish_frenzy

Post by fish_frenzy » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:43 pm

I will call her tomorrow and ask her to email me some pics she took a few months ago. I honestly didn't believe it was a Yo-Yo until I saw it. :shock: Definitely the biggest I have seen! I will start a new topic. Sorry everyone! :oops:

Tammy
Looney for Loaches!