My 90g yoyo, striata, kuhli, misc rainbow, denison barb tank

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

clint

My 90g yoyo, striata, kuhli, misc rainbow, denison barb tank

Post by clint » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:24 am

I'll go from cycle back in april of 09 to now. Let me know what you think.

Tank as it is today

Mad Duff

Post by Mad Duff » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:53 am

Very nice, that is an impressive piece of wood :)

Pardon my honesty - I am a Northerner

14 loach species bred, which will be next?

clint

Post by clint » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:16 pm

Field harvested out of the wisconsin river. Everyone likes the driftwood. The pet stores want an arm and a leg for a piece like that. It took 7 months of being weighted down before it became neutrally buoyant.

The tank is run off of 2 marineland 350 canisters setup as mechanical and bio only filtration. I have 2 wpg growing the plants but its hardly enough as the tank is 24" deep. between the rainbows and the loaches i can only grow crypts, anubias and java ferns most everything else gets eaten.

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:14 pm

Nice tank. Crypts seem to work best in my set-up also. They are a good low maintenance plant. For me, once they grew to a certain size, they just quit growing no matter how much light I gave them. I cut back the lighting to 1/2 WPG and now the tank is completely algae free also.

clint

Post by clint » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:50 pm

Algae free sounds nice to me, might have to just leave the shoplite on its running a pair of T-8's. If it wasn't for the algae, the tank would look a little crisper to my eyes. I've got bba and some gba growing, controlled right now, but have had my share of outbreaks. If i stick with my 50% weekly water changes the algae stays in check.

I've considered taking out the plants, but think i'd regret it if i did. Plus i'm sure the plants help compete with the algae to a degree.

Something always challenging or perplexing when it comes to fish keeping.

loachmom

Post by loachmom » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:53 am

Very nice! :)
I wish I could get crypts to take off in my tanks. Do you fertilize your crypts at all?
A person's a person no matter how small.
Dr. Seuss

clint

Post by clint » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:58 am

Yes i try to fertilize weekly with flourish from Seachem. I don't add anything else, no dry ferts or carbon.

glenna

Post by glenna » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:18 pm

VERY nice tank, and sort of what I am shooting for in my new 125 gallon.
How do the loaches do with that substrate?...is it fluorite?
What temp do you keep the tank?
Right now I have rainbows and loaches at about 78F and wanting to add the roselines, but thinking I may need to turn down the temp a little. I am glad to see that this combo can work very well!
The stacked rock cave area is a GREAT idea and really balances out that awesome piece of driftwood.
glenna

clint

Post by clint » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:44 pm

glenna wrote:VERY nice tank, and sort of what I am shooting for in my new 125 gallon.
How do the loaches do with that substrate?...is it fluorite?
What temp do you keep the tank?
Right now I have rainbows and loaches at about 78F and wanting to add the roselines, but thinking I may need to turn down the temp a little. I am glad to see that this combo can work very well!
The stacked rock cave area is a GREAT idea and really balances out that awesome piece of driftwood.

Sorry so late in replying haven't been around lately.

The substrate seems to be working fine i've noticed no damaged barbels. I got it from a local quarry i frequent. I have my temps at 79 or so and the redlines since they were 2" and they are now 5-6" 6/7 months later. I don't really see any problems keeping them a couple degrees warmer then what the descriptions state. Thanks for the complements i designed the structures with the loaches in mind. I'm certain i see my Kuhlis out as much as i do because there is always a safety spot for them near by. Plus i adds alot of surface area to the tank. Its sort of a loach condo. One will sit in one cave with another right above him and another above that one.

glenna

Post by glenna » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:58 pm

hey, thanks for the details
I have recently added the rainbows to the tank and they are really beautiful. The loaches are more sensitive, so am waiting a little while to make sure that the tank is REALLY stable (already did a month fishless cycle, but am extra careful with the loaches)
I may just steal your stacked rock cave idea if you don't mind.....really lovely!
glenna

clint

Post by clint » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:17 am

I am glad the pics inspire you, i know the loaches use the space as it was meant to be used. Meaning, i'll see multiple loaches each in their own little nook/cave.

Good for you on the rainbows they are aggressive, greedy feeders just like the loaches. I think they make good tank mates. This was my second tank ever setup and i did alot of research on what to put in it. I spent countless hours just looking over fish descriptions at different sites. I knew i liked loaches from the start, then the rainbows started to catch my eye. I already had the rainbow shark in my 20 and he does fine so long as the loaches stay out of his nook:lol: . Then i saw them redline torpedo barbs in a display tank at a fish store in with bows and knew i had to get a few of them. To date they are the most expensive fish i spent money on. I got 2 of them for $33 each and a larger one for $40. I have room for a few more rainbows, i plan on going with the turquoise rainbow (Melanotaenia lacustris). I'm growing a few out in my 20 now, i hope they color up some. I've noticed with rainbows not all grow up to look as nice as the pics show them. I bought my Boesemani's as young adults so i knew what i was getting and paid extra for it. They do make a nice centerpiece fish. It has been alot of fun building this tank.

I do plan on adding some more kuhlis. I have 7/8 of the black variety and 2/3 of the stripped ones. I thought they would school up together but they do not, it seems they are a bit racist. I'd like to even the count and get some more stripped ones, i like them a little more looks wise. But in my tank at least they are the shyer of the two species. I see the black ones swimming out in the open every now and again. Sometimes doing that loachy dance with 3 or 4 swimming up and down the face of the tank. They love the flat stones as well. After i knew i was getting kuhlis i took a coat hanger and dug out the edges under the flat stones so they could fit under the base pieces. That worked out really nice for them as they can't dig in the gravel.

If i would advise anything, it would be to get the stone via a local quarry. I had this stone left over from a flooring project :roll: . Compared to purchasing it at a pet store you'll pay pennys to a pound. Plus the selection would be more varied. Some brickyards will also carry a good selection of stone, but a quarry will undoubtedly be your best bet, i'm a bricklayer so i kinda know about these things. They call the flat kind of stone flagstone, its a general description. The kind i got is newyork bluestone. My quarry has 15/20 different kinds of flagstone to choose from. Its the same place i got my gravel at as well. 2) 5 gallon buckets for like $7/8. Thats by far better then from the local fish/pet store.

glenna

Post by glenna » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:47 pm

man, you are not kidding about the cost difference!
I had a stone patio put in last year and have a fair amount of flagstone misc pieces left over. Then I was in a petstore and thought WOW, they are royally taking advantage of the fact that people just do not KNOW any better.
I plan to use them for a stacked wall cave setup like you have. Did not feel the need to cement the pieces together?
I am very excited to get started but WORK keeps getting in the way!!!
Maybe this weekend? I want to boil my rocks first as they are in a big pile behind a tree in the backyard right now.
Thanks again for the inspiration!
glenna

clint

Post by clint » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:40 am

No need to cement them together so long as the stack remains stable. You just have to find the right stone. A hammer is handy for shaping the stones or making smaller ones. A small chisel would be useful as well. I have all those tools so its easy for me to make the right stone if need be.

Do you have Kuhlis loaches at all?

If i remember correctly i just took mine in the bath tub and used a wire brush on them with hot water. Then i cycled the tank, yours is already cycled so you may want to boil first.