Good sand for dojos?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

crazy loaches

Good sand for dojos?

Post by crazy loaches » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:39 am

My Dojo/goldfish tank I am setting up I want to be sand, and I am trying to see how cheap I can set this big tank up for so I am thinking about some cheaper alternatives rather than lfs sand. Seems pool filter sand comes up alot as a good choice. I havent actually seen this stuff before, so I dont know much about it other than it is cheap. So I assume thats a good option. But I came across this thread today about Quikrete Medium Sand http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/sh ... hp?t=98565 there are some good pics there of it. It seems a tad course, but still sand like. The fellow there says its $5 (U.S.) for fifty pounds. I can't amagine anything much cheaper. So whats the verdict on this sand?

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:02 am

I've used play sand or play pit sand for many a years without any problems to my loaches. Just make sure you rinse it over a few times before installing.

shari2

Post by shari2 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:24 am

It's a bit coarser than pool filter sand, doesn't compact as much and flies around less when bigger fish like dojos get crazy. I had it in the 30g I took down and it's now in a bucket in my basement. Smaller than the smallest gravel you will find, light in color, and I'd think grown dojos would have no problem getting into it if they wanted. It grows plants well, too.

Does need the occasional vacuuming because tiny bits of detritus will get in between the grains, but use a smaller bore vac head or it will suck up the tube, though not as badly as pool filter sand. Over all I like it, but it is likely better for larger fish. khulis would find it less friendly than play or pool sand because of the size of the grains, but I bet they'd prefer it to gravel. Sand sifters in general may find it too large to get through the gills comfortably, but as your tank will be dojos they may not have a problem.

It also will lend itself well to a sectioned area where you have a wall of rocks holding it back. Somewhat less 'fluid' than pool sand so it stays in it's area better.
books. gotta love em!
http://www.Apaperbackexchange.com

joitoy

Post by joitoy » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:55 am

I've been wondering that myself I want to add sand to my tank but I can't find a good median between good healthy stuff that won't hurt cory and dojo gills, and stuff that won't be so light and tiny the filter will suck it all up.

crazy loaches

Post by crazy loaches » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:14 pm

Ah shoot I guess you cant view it without being a member. Let me see if I can hotlink some pics...

And I'll quote some highlights:
But I adore this stuff. Five dollars for fifty pounds at Home Despot; already rinsed, screened and kiln-sterilized. (You don't even need to rinse it if you don't want to! Though I would still recommend you do.) It functions more like very tiny gravel - rounded, uniform grains, no dust, completely inert, natural looking, easy to keep clean, does not compact, allows for plant roots to spread, safe for sand sifters, and can even be vacuumed without any of it being sucked out. It also stays really clean even if you forget to vacuum for a few weeks.

As far as sands go, this one is just my absolute favorite.
Last edited by crazy loaches on Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joitoy

Post by joitoy » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:15 pm

A few stupid questions..

Is that fine enough for a corycat? And where can you buy it.