BABY 'BAROMETERS'

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Emma Turner

BABY 'BAROMETERS'

Post by Emma Turner » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:26 pm

I've been on a special mission today! :D

A new M.A. store, based in Lincoln has recently been set up. Graham Favell who used to be the assistant manager at the Crowland store is managing this new branch, and yesterday we had a phone call from him saying that his other half - Abby - (who also works there) had just found 3 tiny Weather Loach (Misgurnus anguillicaudatus) fry in one of the tanks there! 8) 8) 8)

The systems at this store are set up in a similar way to Crowland, except that there are weirs at the bottom of each individual stock tank, whereas we have a different style top-strainer overflow on the tanks at Crowland. In both stores, when livebearing fish give birth in-store, the tiny fry get sucked down the water return pipework into the large 6ft sump tanks below. Apparently Abby was looking in this particular sump at some of the new livebearer fry and suddenly saw something move in amongst the gravel. On closer inspection, and after taking much care to net them out, they discovered the baby Weather Loaches!

They have actually sold out of the only batch of adult Weather Loaches they have had in, so the parent fish have gone to someone's tank. These Weather Loaches were some of the first batch of fish I had ordered in for the shop during their first couple of weeks of opening. The stock tanks had been running for a few weeks prior to the initial addition of fish, but I chose to initially start the store off with hardy species, hence the Weather Loaches. No other loaches have ever been placed on this system. This spawning must have happened during the first couple of weeks of opening as they sold the adults pretty quickly. As the systems are still maturing, there has actually been a low level of nitrite in the water (gradually decreasing) which must have been present when they spawned. :shock: I think that they might have been kept in cooler, still conditions with the supplier, and at the shop, the water is slightly warmer and with a fairly good flow. I can only think that the increase in temperature and the increase in flow triggered a 'seasonal' response and got them going. :idea:

The fry are really, really cute. Complete miniatures of the adults. They are approximately 2.5cm TL, which shows that they have been around for a few weeks now. Graham had them in a little breeding net on the top row of the system in a tank of their own when we got there today. I used one of our Fintro gadgets to get a few pictures of one of them earlier today:

Here's a pic of them in the baby net (you can see all 3 of them):

And the system where the loaches spawned (baby net on top row):

This is the little weir the eggs would have got sucked down into (gaps 2mm wide):

And with them finally ending up in this 6ft x 2ft x 2ft sump tank (currently, and luckily, with no big fish living in it!):

One of the other members of staff, Sam, had a really thorough look through this sump when I was there today, but couldn't spot any more fry. That's not to say there isn't any, as these tanks are very spacious, the fry are tiny, and they are extremely well camouflaged against the gravel! They are not going to put any big fish in there to see if any more 'emerge' and to protect the young livebearers too. :wink:

I tested the water on this system today, and these were the parameters:

Temp = 26.5 deg C (so slightly high)
Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0.8 ppm
Nitrate = 25 ppm
pH = 8.0
dH = 18 degrees.

So very hard, warm, alkaline water, with presence of nitrite. Not quite ideal, obviously, but it didn't stop these loaches from spawning!

During the time the fry would have been about, the nitrite was as high as 1.6 and is currently on it's way back down. These readings are typical of a new system, but loach fry was very unexpected! :lol:

I bought one of the youngsters home with me this evening, so that I can take photographs of it's development (it's now in my little Sewellia fry tank). I would have liked to have bought them all home, but the staff at the Lincoln store seem quite attached to their baby loaches, so I just couldn't take them all. :wink:

Emma
Last edited by Emma Turner on Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:32 pm

OOH ya little monkey! (Emma has been moderator teasing all day) She said she was on a secret mission. These are absolutely little darlings :P
How cool they discovered them.

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Mad Duff

Post by Mad Duff » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:45 pm

Excellent :D

That was a stroke of luck for them to have been spotted :shock:

Pardon my honesty - I am a Northerner

14 loach species bred, which will be next?

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:46 pm

Wonderful images of such tiny babies! Someone has purchased the breeding pair, hopefully! :D

Man! Those are seriously Cute! 8)

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:53 pm

Cute! :D

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:48 pm

Outstanding, Em. I'm thinking you need some grant money to dedicate yourself full time to rearing baby loaches - you know, those fish that don't breed in the tank. I presume you'll keep us posted on their development.
Your vantage point determines what you can see.

helen nightingale

Post by helen nightingale » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:32 am

great news. they are so sweet.

and an excuse to go to lincoln.

Barracuda518

Post by Barracuda518 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:45 am

Thats awesome. Never heard of anyone having baby weather loaches before :D

loachmom

Post by loachmom » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:59 am

Very cute little guy!!

How exciting to have baby weather loaches!! :D

LoachOrgy

Post by LoachOrgy » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:59 am

tiny little guys! :)
All your loaches are belong to me!

mamaschild

Post by mamaschild » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:39 am

Emma, that's Fabulous :D :D Such adorable little things :mrgreen:

I've come to the conclusion that it's YOU. YOU are the reason all these loaches spawn, and they wouldn't do it if YOU didn't have a hand (so to speak) in their tank :!: :!: :!:

Emma, the Loach Whisperer :wink:

daspricey

Post by daspricey » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:22 pm

Wow, very cute, i want one. lol

Do keep us posted on the babies!

David

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:22 pm

Thank you all so much for the comments. :D I really can't take the credit for this though! All I did was order the fish, it's the M/A Lincoln staff who looked after them and were fortunate enough to spot the youngsters. :wink:

Emma

sophie

Post by sophie » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:32 pm

very cool little bug-eyed monsters.
sophie.
there is no them
there is only us

http://www.duckduckgoosestuff.co.uk

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:10 pm

Here's a short video clip taken late this evening, showing the baby Weather Loach doing the loachy dance in the Sewellia lineolata fry tank (turn sound down/off):

http://s88.photobucket.com/albums/k183/ ... CN0743.flv

And a couple of (not very good) pics - this loach is so active, it's hard to get a good focus :lol: :

The silicon edging spoils this one, but I thought you'd like to see a rough size comparison with the Sewellia fry:

Emma