Homaloptera orthogoniata

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Fishhead

Homaloptera orthogoniata

Post by Fishhead » Mon May 15, 2006 8:50 am

Hey all,

I'm in the process of locating new inhabitants for my Loach tank.. I've got everything else that I'm looking for but I'm still looking for the one breed I really want to "set off" my Loach tank. I'm looking for about five Homaloptera orthogoniata ("Saddled Hillstream loach" / "Saddleback Hillstream loach"). Pictures can be seen @ http://www.loaches.com/species_pages/ho ... onita.html.

Now, I don't want to say I'm a snob or anything but I won't buy anything at a LFS Chain store (they don't know squat about what they carry and the teenagers who run the stores couldn't care less about the quality of the fish they peddle).. I'm looking for a reputable breeder or importer that can get me this breed or one of the two similar variants, Homaloptera confuzona or Homaloptera parclitella in good condition in a fairly decent size (around 2 inches would be good, methinks). I'm in Pittsburgh and if there is an independant store here that I've missed that you think might carry them, please ante up!

Recommendations anyone?

Fishhead

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Mon May 15, 2006 9:54 am

Good luck!! I 've been looking for those for years.
However, since you live in Pittsburgh, you might want to check with Eric at All Oddball Aquatics. He may be able to find them for you.

Remember, though, that these are hillstream loaches that require fast flowing, highly oxygenated water and are not compatible with many fish species.

Fishhead

Post by Fishhead » Mon May 15, 2006 10:15 am

Jim,
I was just there last week.. He had Clowns(yawn), Reticulated Hillstreams, and the Chinese Butterflies, but alas.. No Saddlebacks. This has been an ongoing quest for me.. I'm jousting windmills here..

Eric spoke highly of you when I purchased my four Kubotai from him about four months ago. I think his is one of the best independant LFS I've ever seen!

If I can get a hold of them, hell I'd consider setting up a tank specifically for them.. I'd breed them if only there were a little more information on them.

They've got to be out there somewhere!

Fishhead

avant

Post by avant » Mon May 15, 2006 10:30 am

Hi Fishhead, I just saw them recently at a local fish shop over here. But I'm in Singapore. :?

Fishhead

Post by Fishhead » Mon May 15, 2006 10:38 am

Must you tease me?

*whimper*

How many did they have? Jim, you interested in going in on a bag of Saddlebacks?

:D

Fishhead

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Mon May 15, 2006 10:49 am

He has reticulated hillstreams (Sewellias)???!!! He had no hillstreams when I was there last June. :cry:
That's another species I'm searching for.
I really don't have the space for many of either species right now.
I hope to set something up later in the year to expand my available tank space.
Its nice to hear the complimants. Eric does, indeed, have one of the best lfs I have ever seen. The entire set up and the breeding he does is just amazing. Well worth the trip for anyone. I just wish I lived closer.
Good luck finding saddlebacks. I have had them before (lost my last one about a year ago) and they are very cool fish.
And give Eric my regards next time you see him ;)

Fishhead

Post by Fishhead » Mon May 15, 2006 10:55 am

Jim,
I don't know if he still has them. His manager (Tim, I think) said that most of them died shortly after arrival. There were only two Reticulated left, small, but they looked to be healthy.. Just not what I'm looking for.. I'm sure he could get them to you if you contacted him.

Fishhead

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Mon May 15, 2006 11:53 am

Hi Fishead.

I've kept H. orthogoniata in the past and would love to again. They are just beautiful fish and given the right conditions, once settled in, pretty hardy and easy to care for.

We basically christened them "The Holy Grail" because that's about how easy they are to come by. They can be a bit delicate to ship and that's possibly why there's a shortage of them. Dealers are loath to order risky fish.

Sewellia lineolata have kind of become the "New Holy Grail". At least I got myself 5 of those and they are simply beautiful with great behaviour.
Lovely fish.

Wish I could fing orthos again though.......

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Gary Herring

Post by Gary Herring » Tue May 16, 2006 8:30 am

I think i've found them. Its either H. Orthogoniata or one of the other very simular species anyway. Do they mix well with the suckerbelly type hillstreams?

Fishhead

Post by Fishhead » Tue May 16, 2006 12:29 pm

I believe that they do. Hillstream Loaches all require a high oxygen content and pretty good circulation. I am not sure if there are territorial tendencies or aggressive behavior though I am sure they rival for dominance like other loaches.

Were the Homaloptera orthogoniata for sale? Was it a reputable dealer/breeder? I found them on an importer website but the picture didn't match what I know they're supposed to look like and it looked like the site was created by a third grader.

I'm afraid of ordering from companies like, "Bob's Fish and Storm Door Company".. Once I've recieved my bag of guppies instead of my loaches, it's kinda too late..

Fishhead

Gary Herring

Post by Gary Herring » Wed May 17, 2006 6:03 am

Yeah they've got some for sale at Wildwoods in Middlesex.
http://www.tropicalfishfinder.co.uk
Maidenhead aquatics in Peterbourgh also has them now and again, although not at the moment i don't think.

EDIT: Sorry Fishhead, just noticed your in the US :oops:
Pittsburgh to Middlesex is probably a bit far to go, even for the most dedicated Loach-a-holics!
Last edited by Gary Herring on Wed May 17, 2006 9:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Wed May 17, 2006 8:08 am

Homaloptera orthogoniata's only fault that I can report ,as regards mixing with other fish, is that when food is introduced into the aquarium they go completely nuts. They will sometimes basically swim through other fish in their rush to get to the food. Don't do any harm though, it just looks a bit crazy.

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Wed May 17, 2006 8:44 am

Gary Herring wrote: Maidenhead aquatics in Peterbourgh also has them now and again, although not at the moment i don't think.
I tried to get some more only last week from my Indonesia supplier who had them listed, but alas they got substituted for something else. :cry:

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

Gary Herring

Post by Gary Herring » Wed May 17, 2006 8:53 am

Thats a shame. Wildwoods say they have them, but last time i went there about 4 months ago what were labelled as H. Orthogoniata were actually H. Tweediei (I think!) so it would be interesting to see what they actually are this time. By the way Emma, have you had any luck trying to get hold of anymore Sewellia?

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Wed May 17, 2006 9:09 am

Gary Herring wrote:By the way Emma, have you had any luck trying to get hold of anymore Sewellia?
Oh yes! :D We've had them in for about 3 weeks now, and they're looking good. All being well, they will go on sale from next Wednesday. :wink:

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.