P. anguillaris burrowing

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Mark in Vancouver

P. anguillaris burrowing

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Fri May 12, 2006 7:19 pm

I only noticed recently that my P. anguillaris do indeed burrow. They're even able to "back up" down their little holes, so I wonder if they excrete a slime coat that enables them to hold the shape of their tunnels. These are very narrow kuhlis, and quite long now - four inches? Anyway, the mystery of why I hardly ever see them seems to be solved. The P. myersi jumbo kuhlis don't bother with burrowing at all.

Your vantage point determines what you can see.

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Sat May 13, 2006 4:54 pm

Nice pictures, Mark.

At first mine (12 of them) would be visible 24/7, but now i only see them in full body and out of the sand substrate once a week after water changes. All other times i can see there "tiny" faces looking at me.

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Sat May 13, 2006 6:44 pm

You keep yours in finer sand, though, don't you? I was surprised that they even could burrow - as you can see, it's small gravel as opposed to sand.
Your vantage point determines what you can see.

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Sat May 13, 2006 7:07 pm

I suppose the intentions are there. Far as i'm aware, i've never seen any other Pangio that purposely burrows with given shelters around them.

Graeme.

mamaschild

Post by mamaschild » Mon May 15, 2006 10:27 am

So THAT explains it ;) GREAT pics, too :)

I normally only see 2 or 3 of mine at a time, but had 6 or 8 of them out after my last water change. I know they like to be in the base of the plants, but didn't realize they burrowed.

Guess I need to be even more careful when vaccing, although I don't get that close to the plants. The horsefaces are no problem....they move :roll:

gulogulo

Post by gulogulo » Fri May 19, 2006 11:37 pm

I have 8 that burrow extensively. I have only had them a couple of months and they are seen above ground more now than they were before. For the first couple weeks I had to search just to make sure they were alive. Now if I feed them and wait I can usually spot all 8 coming out of the gravel within 15 minutes.
I am in the process of setting up a sand tank for them. It will be interesting to see if their habits change.
Current loach residents- 14 Pangio semicincta, 2 P. doriae, 4 P. myersi, 1 P. shelfordi, 5 P. anguilaris, 6 P. oblonga, 8 P. cuneovirgata 5 Chromobotia macracantha, 3 Gastromyzon ctenocephalus, 3 Gastromyzon species unknown

Laura

Post by Laura » Sat May 20, 2006 8:30 am

I've got 4 in a tank with small gravel and haven't found them buried yet. Mine live under a piece of driftwood and come out at feeding time - they also travel through the plants at the back of the tank when they want to move away from the driftwood - very secretive little guys - in my tank anyways.