The Spotties have spawned again!

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:06 pm

Thanks everyone. :D

I had a look in the filter just now and found one lucky little baby Spotty! 8) This one is quite big at approx 12mm TL:

Having spent more time observing the youngsters in the main tank (and correcting what I said earlier on in the thread), I think 2 of the 5 in the main tank are actually closer to 9-10mm, whereas the other 3 are smaller at around 5-6mm. So this looks like more than one spawning. I only have one adult male, so he's obviously getting around a bit! :lol:

I am going to grow this fry from the filter on a bit in a separate tank as I doubt it has as much safety sense as the others that have been in their since word go. I have a little 12" tank that I am currently growing some teeny rice fish on in (the tank used to be the S. lineolata grow out tank) so it's going in there till it's at a size where it will be safe from the Schistura balteata.

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

palaeodave

Post by palaeodave » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:21 pm

Teeny rice fish? What are these? Can we see them?

Barracuda518

Post by Barracuda518 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:23 pm

Yeah, it sounds like that one male has been busy :lol:

I know its off topic, but what ever happened to the Dojo fry you had?

Ashleigh

Post by Ashleigh » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:44 pm

Congrats again Emma :D

Ashleigh

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:22 pm

Thanks guys. :D

Jason, unfortunately the young weather loaches had to be put to sleep a while back. It seems they were very weak genetically and in the end we decided they were suffering so did what we hoped was the kindest thing. It was difficult after raising them for some months. :cry:

Dave, the rice fish are what is claimed to be a new 'neon green' species of Oryzias from Myanmar which came in at an absolute minute size (far too small to go on the system at work) hence I am growing them on at home before taking them back in. At the moment they are pretty colourless and are too small & quick to photograph - sorry!

Emma

helen nightingale

Post by helen nightingale » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:56 am

:D :D congratulations, Emma, great news

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:15 pm

Thanks Hels. :D This just gets better and better.....although I've been really busy with work today, I took a break for a few mins and looked into the river tank and spotted 7 fry out and about all at the same time! So with the one I rescued from the filter (in the little tank) that makes 8. I'm now wondering whether I have seen them all or if there are more lurking amongst all the cobbles?
Good spotties. 8)

Emma

helen nightingale

Post by helen nightingale » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:30 pm

:D we can hope you have a right little spottie farm going on there

did you keep all the same species in the tank when you moved to the new tank? i remember you had a fish in the old one you thought might be an egg/baby eater, but i cant remeber what species it was :oops:

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:13 pm

I think the only species we removed was the large population of adult Amano shrimp, in exchange for the smaller Red Crystals. The big old Schistura balteata may be the fish you are thinking of and yes, he is still about! Couldn't bear to part with him after all this time. :wink:

Emma

Whitey_MacLeod

Post by Whitey_MacLeod » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:55 am

Great news, congratulations. Hopefully there's a lot more hiding in there somewhere.
Fast and bulbous!

helen nightingale

Post by helen nightingale » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:20 am

yes, it was the schistura i was thinking of. i know it was the one you couldnt bear to get rid of. its good he's still going, and not had too much of a munch