Breeding Chromobotia macracanthus

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Igor

Post by Igor » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:55 am

mistergreen wrote:what is the real argument here?
Genetic purity in loaches?
Sorry but we as humans have messed with the genetics of every animal we've raised
in the aquaristics we face the very different situation. the most of easily bred fishes actually are clones of the first bred in captivity pair. I do not say this is right, but in this case, it is quite different.

real killy, cichlid or rainbow collectioners keep not species only, but even local forms. this is MUST in this hobby, we do not produce the fishes for food, when you can croos them to get some more meat or better wool, we keep them for colors and behaviour.

just imagine "Handbook of Modern Aquarium Hybrids": how you can talk apart strains? how you can reproduce them? how you can describe their features, if they are not stabilized?

there're a lot of Echinodorus hybrids and Anubias hybrids on the market. and this lead to discussion: identify my plant, please! and following stoopid answers: this is surely Ozelot! No, this is Kleine Bear. imho that is selovianus crossed with osiris... shall we go on this way?

mistergreen wrote:This is a free market.. Buy hybrids if you want. Buy wild breeds if you want.
surely, no one opinion is not absolute, but it so happened in the aquaristics, that specialized societies and skillfull hobbyists are focused on the natural species, even in in whole their variation. note the numerous local forms of Tropheus, every of which is a real jewell, being in the same species and crossable. it is not surprise the specialized societies ban hybridisation for their members, the rule violation leads to the disqualification. so, sure, each breeder are free to decide is he/she either a commercial seller, or a naturalist. it is free to write computer viri, the only ban for their distribution. you can copy a book for your personal usage, but it is forbiden to spread it.

what we get in the future? aquaristics for fun with domesticated pets? I am an adult naturalist, I like the traditional way -- getting novelties, breeding and maintaining of fish collection, not pets.

andre

Post by andre » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:33 am

Sorry for moving back to the origin of this thread, but Oliv would you mind posting pics of the first batch of fry please?

I'm cuorious to see them growing.

Thank you in advance.
Andre

oliv

Post by oliv » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:42 pm

:shock:
Last edited by oliv on Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:19 am

That link is not helpful. Maybe I am missing something.
Your vantage point determines what you can see.

Bully

Post by Bully » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:52 am

Once you click the link and are taken to the host page, click the link near the top that states /hybrid_2sm.JPG

You will then have the option of downloading or viewing the pic. As I have no desire to encourage hybridisation forgive me if I choose not to host the pic myself :wink:

namal kamalgoda

Post by namal kamalgoda » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:09 am

The word ethics and conservation shouldn't be used as we all know what fish keeping has done to the wild
I agree with Chen. The aquairum trade has destroyed the native population of some of our sri lankan barbs. Which are still exported illegally despite an export ban. To the extend some are now extint in the wild

oliv

Post by oliv » Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:55 am

Interesting clause about cultivation, unfortunately while only in Russian is published
Last edited by oliv on Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:32 pm

thanks. here's that article translated to English using babelfish-
http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_ur ... =Translate

Amazing. How much time do you think it takes from when the eggs are harvested to when you can see the fry swimming freely?

oliv

Post by oliv » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:01 pm

bookpage

Post by bookpage » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:33 pm

Wish I could read the article. Nice to see the pictures.

This is not about fish, but it is about hybrids. Zoos have been breeding animals for some time to obtain hybrids. This Internet article is about a Grizzly - Polar Bear hybrid. I just watched a TV show about it the other night.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12738644
240 - Clowns(15), Polka-Dot(6), Sids(57), Zebra(12), Burmese(5), Red-fin(4), YoYo(5), Sumo(2), Skunk(4), Peckoltia sabaji(1), L144 Black Eye Bristlenose Pleco(3), Odessa Barb(9), Roseline Sharks(6)

YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bookpage1

ch.koenig

Post by ch.koenig » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:42 am

I just scanned the articles about catching and breeding of c. macranthus in the "Amazonas"-magazine. quite "heavy" files to transmit.
there's is one page with the development of the fry I could furnish seperatly. just send me a pm.
see forum-thread
http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic.php?t=18782
cheers charles

oliv

Re: Breeding Chromobotia macracanthus

Post by oliv » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:41 pm

2 BookPage, great picture thanks!
Long time since I was not here, Hello!

bookpage

Post by bookpage » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:23 pm

How are you doing, oliv? How are you fish doing? Any success with breeding?
240 - Clowns(15), Polka-Dot(6), Sids(57), Zebra(12), Burmese(5), Red-fin(4), YoYo(5), Sumo(2), Skunk(4), Peckoltia sabaji(1), L144 Black Eye Bristlenose Pleco(3), Odessa Barb(9), Roseline Sharks(6)

YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bookpage1

oliv

Post by oliv » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:51 am

Hi! With a clown work, that trio is still alive, getting a viable larvae from that good girls last season, this year she was resting.
With the hybrid did not work out, there is no genetic males and females spawn hybrids do not gain
Of interest to you fish during these five years had offspring from three kinds of family Nemacheilidae which received from suppliers in Singapore, two of them
have been identified as Physoschistura brunneana and Tuberoschistura arakanensis in Asian offerings position YUNNANILUS SP.
I can boast of success with Protomyzon pachychilus, though quite modest ... not yet!)))
Oh, and forget about Schistura balteata and Serpenticobitis ... octozona???