They could live together but wont recommend it

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

janma

They could live together but wont recommend it

Post by janma » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:43 am

So I went and combined Sid's with hillstreams a month ago, just had to try it. And luckily there were no problem: Sewellia fry or shrimp didn't end up on food chain and no one got hurt.

But think that any eggs can have been eaten. So this went good, but I'm putting up a new tank for the Sid's. They deserve it, wonderful fish. They are the most curious fish I've ever had, everything floating by has to be checked :) These are quite small and I suspect that when growing bigger the behavior would change. The snails disappeared almost 98%, but as mentioned in another topic there will be some killer-snails to do the job. One hard thing left, catching them. Any pointers on that?

Here are some pics of them, hard to get good ones.
-Janne

Mad Duff

Post by Mad Duff » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:00 am

Very nice janma :D

I like photo #2 - it still makes me chuckle every time I see them with bloodworm, my little boy thought they were sticking their tongues out the first time he saw mine do it :lol:

Pardon my honesty - I am a Northerner

14 loach species bred, which will be next?

piggy4

Post by piggy4 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:03 am

Hi Jamma , what a lovely setup , the Sidthimunki's look great , i should think they would enjoy a river type of tank ! what with their streamlined bodies , they should have no problems !

Diana

Post by Diana » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:46 am

Would catching them in a trap work? I had to totally drain a tank, down to the very last drop, and remove the substrate to catch mine, the one time I moved them.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

piggy4

Post by piggy4 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:52 am

I know a bloke who used to have to catch his on a regular basis , as he used to show them at the fish shows ! he used a bottle baited with blood worms , it must have been a good trick as his tank was a six footer !

adamrf1126

Post by adamrf1126 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:45 am

very cool pics

janma

Post by janma » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:35 am

Tried to catch them yesterday but not a single Sid has moved :roll: Used a bottle and different nets with food. Only thing I caught was two 1½cm Sewellias.

But today I will constuct the über-trap. :twisted:
-Janne

janma

Post by janma » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:57 am

The new Sid tank has been up running for over a week now and the Sid's moved in on Saturday. Wasn't that hard to trap them. One I caught with the trap and the rest using hand and net. They swim quite straight forward so it was only to chase them into the net. Well I did remove all the stones, so the river tank is re-decorated now too.

The new tank has very fine sand and I put some trumpet snail to dig in it. The Sid's seem to love digging (probably sence the snails) in the sand and the bottom is filled with small craters. They are shy but do move all around the tank exploring. There are also Red Cherry shrimp in the tank as cleaners.

Here is a picture of the tank taken with my phone, my real camera broke on Friday and is in service. So the picture quality isn't great.

A funny thing i noticed in the river tank after the Sid's moved is that there is a huge amount of snail again, almost none was seen with Sid's. The snails must have somehow senced danger and was hiding.
-Janne

CatsandFish

Post by CatsandFish » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:35 pm

Bringing this oldy back to live :P
I keep 9 Yasuhikotakia Sidthimunki together with 4 Beaufortia Kweichowensis and 4
Pseudogastromyzon Cheni and i can honestly say
all a hillstream cares for is: did another hilly pick my favorite spot at that rock; i must chase it away
I frequently spot both species (apart from each other offcourse) together with the sidth's.
Resting/grazing over rocks while the sidth's play alongside of em.
Try And Pry Open Your Third Eye