Is this Schistura cf. balteata

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

janma

Post by janma » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:15 am

I redecorated the tank and found a great hiding place which was too dangerous to keep. And I found both of S. cf balteatas, I was worried a while. Also managed to get a picture. But they still keep hiding and there are a lot of hiding places. So I was wondering would a dither fish help? It did with my Sid's. And was thinking about adding 6-10 Cherry barbs, how would that sound?

Other fish are Gastromyzons, Sewellias, Characidium lanei(?) and Rosy loaches.

It's alive!

Haven't posted tank pics in a while so here are some.
-Janne

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:00 am

Great looking tank!

daspricey

Post by daspricey » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:36 am

Stunning tank! :D

mickthefish

Post by mickthefish » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:47 am

mine hide all the time janne, i think it's part of their nature.
the only time i see mine is when i feed the fish, and then only a quick out grab some food and then they disappear until next feeding time.

mick

beaut of a tank btw.

wasserscheu

Post by wasserscheu » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:09 am

I love your exciting setup Janne - absolute top 8) Great pic of the S. Balteate, in a typical pose.

My fish hardly can see the lightbulbs (from their view), perhaps using one or two plants with larger leaves that reach about the water surfcae make them feel more secure. They love to sit on leaves too. Some more swimming plants isles my help and are easyly taken away again in case it´s not working. My S.B. still are out most of the time eat least half of them - however from my clowns only the 2 smaller ones are out all the time, the matutre ones unfourtunately retract quite a lot much more than in their young days. The Y. Caudipunctata are typical cave-people unless they "need" to chase each other or eat. My B. Striatas are very careful and camera-shy but alway cruising through the tank, checking out corners and such. My Y. Nigrolineatas are very shy too and at least 75% "inviseble". All that with partially heavy plant jungle.
Wolfram

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:48 pm

Gorgeous looking set up!! 8)

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:48 pm

Great stuff, Janne. 8)

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:11 pm

That is a fantastic-looking tank Janne. 8) I concur with Mick. The set-up I kept mine in was absolutely packed full of rocks and pebbles and the only time the Schistura would venture into open water was at feeding time. I could however observe them moving around the network of tunnels and covered areas formed by the rocks. Cool fish though, I miss them a lot. Image

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:14 am

That's exactly how I had my brook loach tank set up - masses of pebbles. At feeding time, the tank explodes with action, but otherwise only the non-Schistura species are out.
Your vantage point determines what you can see.