A couple of 'assorted' questions.

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

daspricey

A couple of 'assorted' questions.

Post by daspricey » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:18 am

Hi guys,

On August 8th-10th i will be turning the big tank upside down. I will be taking out all the fish and water. All the wood, rocks and plants will have a good wash. I'm taking all of the sand out and replacing it with a mixture of sand (Again) and very small round pebbles. I will also be installing a river manifold for the tank. All of the fish will be going into a rio 180 and something else (I think i might get a 100l bin) for 2-3 days in the hall. The room will be then painted and a large wall unit which is 5ft-the perfect size for the rio 400 will be sold. Ultimately the that room will have a rio400, rio 180 and 2-3 30" tanks. So in all i'm doing a 100% water change and changing the layout. Or starting the tank all over again (But with of coarse with the mature filters)

I just have a couple of questions.

1. A. I'm looking at two maxijet 800 or 1200 powerheads. Can anyone comment about the reliability of these?
B. I want the powerheads to fit perfectly with the pipes, i don't want to mess about with the powerheads to fit them to the pipes. Is the Maxijet good for this? And what size would the piping need to be?

2. Taking all my fish out gives me the perfect chance to take photos of my loaches, especially my nigrolineata (Best pic i can get so far) - including two oddly patterned ones. :) I want to get myself a photo tank but i have no idea of what size and where to get them. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I could however use a 1ft tank though.

Ok, a little more than a couple but i would really apreciate any help. :)

Many thanks

David

Diana

Post by Diana » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:50 am

If the inlet of the PH is tapered, and a secure fit to the PH, then it is easy to work with.
If the inlet does not firmly attach to the rest of the PH, or if it is not the same size as standard pipe sizes, then it may not be stable and will need more work to attach it.

Moving fish and tanks around as you decribe will work, keep the cycled filters going on the temporary tanks so the bacteria and the fish get plenty of oxygen.

One way of making a photo tank is to use a small tank with an exterior background, and nothing in the tank itself. A small tank like you are describing would likely work. As narrow as possible. Add a sheet of glass if you need to to keep the fish in a confined spot.
Set up your camera on a tripod, practice focus, lighting and other settings without a fish (Put a rock or a plant in the tank to focus on)
When you are ready to take the pic fill the tank from the main tank (Wherever the fish is coming from, and take quite a few pics whenever the fish lines up right. You could try feeding the fish to see if this helps bring him into the focus area.
Do not keep the fish in there for too long, the bright lights will likely heat up the water too much.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:26 pm

Hiya David,

I use Maxijets on both my river tanks with manifolds and they are excellent. I used to have the Aquaclears on my first river tank, and although they were also good, the Maxijets take up far less room and come with stepped adapters so there is no need to fiddle about making anything special for them to slot into the manifold with. What diameter pipework are you planning on using? I have the 20mm Aqua Medic stuff in both river tanks with the Maxijet 1200s. One river tank is 3ft long and has two MJ 1200s (and 2 intake sponges), the other tank is 4ft long and has 3 MJ 1200s and 3 intake sponges.

If you'd had a little more time, you could have got a photo tank made for you. I got mine (I have 4 different sized ones) made by Seashell, who make custom built aquaria for us and our customers. Depending on where a particular shop is with ordering from them, it could take several weeks to fit in with their next delivery. You should definitely give it a go in the 1ft tank if you have time and the fish are not looking too stressed. Like Diana said, if you have something you can bring the fish nearer to the front of the tank with, this will help immensely with focus. My smallest photo tank which is about 15cm long has an internal width of just 3cm, which makes it much easier to take pics of fast moving small fish!

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:38 pm

David,

To give you an idea, here is a pic of one of my Aqua Medic/MaxiJet manifolds. See how the stepped adapters that come with the MJs fit straight down into the 20mm T-pieces:

You will need some solvent weld glue (like Tangit) to hold the pipework together. I glued the bottom of the adapters into the Ts, but did not use glue at the top, so the powerheads could be removed from the adapters for routine maintenance now and then. Sorry if this sounds obvious. I thought it would be better to glue the bottom bits in place, so that whenever I had to remove the powerheads, me pulling them out would not pull the adapters out from the T-pieces (they were pushed in tightly when glued). And like Martin advises in his excellent article on building the manifold, definitely assemble everything first, mark it (you can see the marker pen marks on the pipework in the above pic), take it apart again, then glue each bit into place. You only have a very limited time to work with the solvent weld glue so line up the marks quickly.

Hope this helps,

Emma

Diana

Post by Diana » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:03 pm

I have been making inlet manifolds for several of my filters and have not glued anything in place. I am using slip fittings and just pushing things snug. Then I run it for a while and find problems. Even then, the pipes fit together securely without glue. The problem I have is when I use a manifold for the powerheads. I have Aquaclear PH, and they are not well put together. The PH and the smooth, cone shaped adapter separate too easily. There is very little overlap where the adapter attaches to the PH.
It looks like the Maxijet style with the longer intake adapter might be better at the PVC end. Is it stronger where the adapter connects to the PH? Does it hold the PH well?
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

daspricey

Post by daspricey » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:56 am

Hi guys, thanks for the great replies! :D
Moving fish and tanks around as you decribe will work, keep the cycled filters going on the temporary tanks so the bacteria and the fish get plenty of oxygen.
Yup, i've got all that organised. The internal filter media will be going in the internal filter in the rio 180. I can't move the internal filter itself because it is glued to the glass. I will also add a old fluval 3 to that tank two seen as it will hold a 8-9" geophagus. The fluval 304 will be going into the other container which i think will hold the loaches. I also have a aqua pro 3 if needed. I also have a air pump (Though that is working outside at the moment with some goldfish fry.).

One way of making a photo tank is to use a small tank with an exterior background, and nothing in the tank itself. A small tank like you are describing would likely work. As narrow as possible. Add a sheet of glass if you need to to keep the fish in a confined spot.
Set up your camera on a tripod, practice focus, lighting and other settings without a fish (Put a rock or a plant in the tank to focus on)
When you are ready to take the pic fill the tank from the main tank (Wherever the fish is coming from, and take quite a few pics whenever the fish lines up right. You could try feeding the fish to see if this helps bring him into the focus area.
Do not keep the fish in there for too long, the bright lights will likely heat up the water too much.
Yup, all suggestions will be taken on board. I will also only keep the fish in there for a minute tops, if i don't get a good photo; oh well, the fishes welfare is more important.
What diameter pipework are you planning on using? I have the 20mm Aqua Medic stuff in both river tanks with the Maxijet 1200s. One river tank is 3ft long and has two MJ 1200s (and 2 intake sponges), the other tank is 4ft long and has 3 MJ 1200s and 3 intake sponges.
I'm going to B&Q on that day too so i will go and see what size piping they have, i will probably try and get the same as you though so i know it will fit nicely. I don't really have the patience to fiddle around with small things like PH inlets. :lol:
You will need some solvent weld glue (like Tangit) to hold the pipework together. I glued the bottom of the adapters into the Ts, but did not use glue at the top, so the powerheads could be removed from the adapters for routine maintenance now and then. Sorry if this sounds obvious. I thought it would be better to glue the bottom bits in place, so that whenever I had to remove the powerheads, me pulling them out would not pull the adapters out from the T-pieces (they were pushed in tightly when glued). And like Martin advises in his excellent article on building the manifold, definitely assemble everything first, mark it (you can see the marker pen marks on the pipework in the above pic), take it apart again, then glue each bit into place. You only have a very limited time to work with the solvent weld glue so line up the marks quickly.
Aquarium silicone was on the list to get on Friday. I'm going to my lfs for dechlorinator, some more wood, sand, lighting tubes, frozen food (I'm cutting down dried food as much as possible), maxijet powerheads (If they do them), background, aquarium silicone and then to B&Q for piping, large pebbles, medium pebbles and some pea gravel. I think i'm gonna need a larger wallet. :roll:
I can make the manifold during the week before. :)

Can't wait to show the sinibotia too, one in particular has grown beyond belief. :)

Thank you very much

David

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:00 pm

Hi David, not sure what B&Q have in the way of pipework, I must have a look next time I'm there. Ashleigh has also been looking for manifold pipework recently - I explained that the grey Aqua Medic stuff I've used is special order and can take time to arrive, so gave her the heads up about a TMC equivalent which some aquatics stores do carry, or can get in quite quickly (TMC usually have it in stock, it is just a case of the store collecting it or having it sent up to them). She has found a supplier of this TMC stuff - they do this in a 20mm size too. The only downside to the TMC stuff is that it is white, but to be honest you won't see a massive amount of it once all your decor is in place. This might just help if B&Q etc not have anything of the right size. If you can find the solvent weld glue, you'll find it a hell of a lot easier to construct the PVC manifold with, as the silicone takes quite some time to cure. With the solvent weld stuff, you can glue each bit, hold it in place a few seconds whilst it does its stuff, then move on to the next bit. If you do it all with silicone, you might find it all moves about a bit too much (although it is doable if you have the patience!).

Emma

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:04 pm

Diana wrote:I have been making inlet manifolds for several of my filters and have not glued anything in place. I am using slip fittings and just pushing things snug. Then I run it for a while and find problems. Even then, the pipes fit together securely without glue. The problem I have is when I use a manifold for the powerheads. I have Aquaclear PH, and they are not well put together. The PH and the smooth, cone shaped adapter separate too easily. There is very little overlap where the adapter attaches to the PH.
It looks like the Maxijet style with the longer intake adapter might be better at the PVC end. Is it stronger where the adapter connects to the PH? Does it hold the PH well?
Hi Diana,

Yes, the stepped adapter that comes with the Maxi Jets is made of the same sort of thickness/quality PVC that we tend to use for the manifold pipework, so they are nice and sturdy. They certainly hold the PH better than the Aquaclears - you have to turn the PH about 90 degrees to get it to grip in place. One its in, its not going anywhere. I'd highly recommend them.

Emma

daspricey

Post by daspricey » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:25 am

Emma Turner wrote:Hi David, not sure what B&Q have in the way of pipework, I must have a look next time I'm there. Ashleigh has also been looking for manifold pipework recently - I explained that the grey Aqua Medic stuff I've used is special order and can take time to arrive, so gave her the heads up about a TMC equivalent which some aquatics stores do carry, or can get in quite quickly (TMC usually have it in stock, it is just a case of the store collecting it or having it sent up to them). She has found a supplier of this TMC stuff - they do this in a 20mm size too. The only downside to the TMC stuff is that it is white, but to be honest you won't see a massive amount of it once all your decor is in place. This might just help if B&Q etc not have anything of the right size. If you can find the solvent weld glue, you'll find it a hell of a lot easier to construct the PVC manifold with, as the silicone takes quite some time to cure. With the solvent weld stuff, you can glue each bit, hold it in place a few seconds whilst it does its stuff, then move on to the next bit. If you do it all with silicone, you might find it all moves about a bit too much (although it is doable if you have the patience!).

Emma
But silicone is so much cheaper. :lol: I also will need in the future so i'm going to try with silicone.

Thanks again Emma for your help! :)

David

piggy4

Post by piggy4 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:19 pm

Hi Daspricey i'm looking forward to seeing the pics !

daspricey

Post by daspricey » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:31 pm

I've just been to B&Q and came back with some large pebbles and smaller bag of pebbles. They didn't have piping small enough (21.5mm<) so i had a look at the tmc site but they only go down to 21mm. :(

I've now found this seller, ocean life aquatics; they do 20mm piping and have everything but the T junctions so i will email them to see if they can get some.

But i am thinking that the 1200's may be a little much for some of my fish, i don't want it to be like a hillstream tank; too powerful. So i think i'm going to go with the 900's, but does anyone know if the stepped adapter is the same on the 900 as the 1200??

Cheers

David

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:45 pm

Hi David,

Yes the Maxi Jets all come with the same standard fitting, regardless of power. You might want to PM Ashleigh to see which supplier she found - I have a feeling she said it was an online supplier. They had the Ts and the elbows too, whoever it was.

Emma

carphunter57

Post by carphunter57 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:53 pm

You should be able to pick up 19mm ID (21.5 OD)overflow pipe and connectors from any half decent hardware shop (often cheaper that B&Q etc).

or http://www.screwfix.com/cats/101311/Plu ... ste-System if you want to buy online.

daspricey

Post by daspricey » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:05 pm

piggy4 wrote:Hi Daspricey i'm looking forward to seeing the pics !
Hi Piggy, Sorry, missed your post. :oops: I will certainly take pics of most of the fish and the post of "tank in progress". :)

Thanks again Emma. :)

Hi carphunter, i want to err onto the side of caution and go for some aquarium reef grade piping. I was a little worried about getting normal piping from B&Q, better to be safe than sorry. Thanks anyway. :)

David