UPDATE... Best Filtering for 75 gal...?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Sea Sprite

UPDATE... Best Filtering for 75 gal...?

Post by Sea Sprite » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:29 pm

I am setting up my clown loach tank.
I have fine gravel over an UG with 2 power heads.
What filter should I add? I've seen you speak of "canister filters"...sumps...Aqua Clear...Fluval.

Also, is the UG a bad idea for loaches? It is not the square grid design with 3/4" boxes, but more like ridges with slits.

I value your help tremendously. TYIA :)
Last edited by Sea Sprite on Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

palaeodave

Post by palaeodave » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:23 pm

Everything I've heard about undergravel filters is that they're more trouble than they're worth. (On the other hand, most kuhli loach breedings I've heard of have happened in UG filters!) Quite fancy the look of the Eheim Pro 3. Give it a blast if you have the money! External filters are superior in almost every way.

jwyfk

Post by jwyfk » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:31 pm

I agree. Ditch the undergravel filter. I did that on my old 75 gallon years ago, and switched to a Marineland Bio-wheel system. You could get the Magnum 350 Pro system, which has 2 Bio-wheels that are good for 60 gallons, then buy a 3rd Bio-wheel, and use one of your powerheads with a sponge, or quik filter to power it. There's also the H.O.T. (Hang On Tank) Magnum, which I used for years with 2 Bio-wheels. What you should do is add the new filtration before removing the old, so you build up healthy bacteria colonies on the new filter.

Sea Sprite

Post by Sea Sprite » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:10 pm

Thanks Dave & jwyfk...I was wondering if canister filters would be the best choice because they would help provide a stream-like current (?)

I found someone selling 2 (new, in the box) for basically $75 ea :
Fluval 403
Eheims 2217

Is this a good price...?

Sea Sprite

Post by Sea Sprite » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:15 am

Update :

I just won a bid on a new/sealed in the box FX5 with 6 boxes of filter media! :D
$147.50 (U.S.) shipping brings it to a total of $195.49

Value Package Comes with all standard equipment provided by Fluval in the FX5 Canister Filter

This Value Package comes with :
1 Box Water Polishing 3pcs/Box
1 Box Fine Filter Pad 3pcs/Box
1 Box Biomax Media
1 Box Fluval Media Bag (2 Bags in One Box)
1 Box Ammonia Remover 540 gram
1 Box Carbon 13 oz