Breeding Sewellia lineolata.

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

josti

Breeding Sewellia lineolata.

Post by josti » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:10 pm

Norway on line.

I have been member here for a while, but have never so far bin writing here. But now.
I have been breeding Sewelia lineolatas for the first time. Just two javelins still here, but anyhow great fun.
I have seen other people breeding them, (Turner) but not so many.
Does anyone have an idea of how common it actually is?

Cup

Post by Cup » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:15 am

Actually, they are very prolific.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:11 pm

Hi josti, welcome to Loaches Online. :D

Congratulations on breeding your Sewellia lineolata. If males and females are being kept together in ideal conditions, they should spawn quite reguarly. If they are in a species-only tank, you should get a large number of fry, however, if they are in with other fish, it is likely a lot of the eggs and fry will be predated upon. Don't forget to check inside your filter, either. Many aquarists have found loach fry in their filters, including me.

Would love to see some photos of your aquarium,

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

josti

Post by josti » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:00 pm

Hi Emma.
Greetings to Peterborough. Many years since I last were there.

Adding a pick of my Sewelia tank. It is a hopeless kind of tank, but it just happen to drop in here as a “bonus” when I bought a lot of other stuff. Coffee table thing, but never the less.
You can’t se any of them in there, but for the time being there are 10 adult, two juniors 25 mm and x minors 2.5 mm.
The tank is approx. 180 litres, with three pumps, all together some 4500 l/h.

I have not found any in the filters, but I am regularly checking them. Those few I have have been appearing free swimming in the tank. Though the first time I got only two, there were also 8 Schistura balteata in the tank, and that is no good. They have now been moved.

Image[/url]