Lazy Clown Loach

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Technogeek

Lazy Clown Loach

Post by Technogeek » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:07 pm

Hi and hello :)

I wonder if anyone could help me in working out how to get my lazy clown loach to come out before dark.
Most of the time he or she just sleeps inside an urn, not moving at all but soon after dark when the lights are off it comes out for a while.

I have thee Loaches one small one and two about 7" long, it is one of the larger ones that does not come out the other two can be seen swimming around the tank at most times of the day.

Is their anything I can do to stimulate this fish into being more lively?

Water change due tomorrow, this sometimes makes it a bit lively but not for long.

Please help any suggestions gratefully accepted :)

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:47 am

More cover can help a great deal. Ideally there would be something large enough on the bottom of tank that will give the fish plenty of cover and security. A few large pieces of slate setting on top of some rocks usually does the trick. Driftwood is another favorite for clowns to swim under.

You want to leave plenty of swimming space underneath the slate and/or driftwood.

Plenty of water flow is another thing that loaches will like.

bslindgren

Post by bslindgren » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:57 pm

How long have you had them? It took 4 months for my newly acquired 5" CL to start coming out at feeding time. Now it's out most of the time (and I have lots of cover)
Why does my aquarium always seem too small?

Technogeek

Post by Technogeek » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:25 pm

Thanks for your replies.
i have had these particular fish for over two years now and it has only been recently that one of them has decided not bother coming out to play.

The used to be quite active.
I have several hiding places and some foliage, I've just put an air bubbler in to see if it does any good.

The tank is 4 foot long and I have external filtration, the water is within spec but the PH is pretty low 6.4.

I could not do my water change today due to unexpected work problem but will be done tomorrow.

Technogeek

Post by Technogeek » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:11 pm

Just a quick update,
After feeding them live food and changing the water the lazy loach has got a new lease of life.
Now I have purchased some frozen food that they also love, I'm going to try some different foods but I'm not good with making my own.

fhm_usa

Post by fhm_usa » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:34 am

Technogeek wrote:Just a quick update,
After feeding them live food and changing the water the lazy loach has got a new lease of life.
Now I have purchased some frozen food that they also love, I'm going to try some different foods but I'm not good with making my own.
Glad that you found the solution keep us posted.

helen nightingale

Post by helen nightingale » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:12 am

having more of them would help too, but your tank it a little on the small side to keep clowns properly in the long term. you should seriously consider whether you can give thema bigger home, and get some more, then they will probably be a lot more lively and behave more naturally.

have you seen any of Emma's films of her clown loach tank?