Loaches in indoor pond - questions

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

billi

Loaches in indoor pond - questions

Post by billi » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:18 pm

We're glad I found this forum, lots of interesting information available here. We were thinking of getting a couple of weather or golden dojo loaches for our 300 gallon pond, and were hoping to get some advice.

We've heard about how loaches are capable of escaping from aquariums, and wanted to know if the setup we have will keep them in safely.

In our pond, the surface of the water is about 4" from the bottom of the pond edging, and the edging overhangs the pond by about 1". (This picture shows some pond edge detail, on the upper right corner http://picasaweb.google.com/rasheed1/30 ... 3194430786). Is this sufficient, or could we increase the overhang by a couple of inches to help to prevent then busting out?

Also, the pond currently has three 5" goldfish. It's an indoor coldwater pond, and the temperature should stay between 60 and 70F throughout the year. We were going to put in some smooth fine substrate, and add a few more rocks for hiding places before we introduce the loaches.

We'ed appreciate thoughts and comments on our plans.

Diana

Post by Diana » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:11 pm

Sounds like a nice set up! I know Dojos can escape from a tank (water full, and minimal lip) but perhaps the 4" space will be enough. The large volume and hiding places in the pond will help, too. Gives them less excuse to seek greener pastures.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Batch

Post by Batch » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:19 pm

Hi,
I keep weather loaches in an outdoor pond of ~200gal (maybe a bit less), and I usually keep it filled up to the top with some river rock holding down the lip of the liner. In ~ three years, I've only had one jump out. He was about 3 feet from the pond when I found him and still alive! I grabbed him , put him in the water and he swam away! No idea why he jumped out.

Batch

Mad Duff

Post by Mad Duff » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:04 pm

I have kept weather loaches in a pond and as long as there was at least 2" of liner clear of the water they were fine, I actually only lost two of them because a strainer came off one of the pumps and Dojo's and impellers dont mix well.

The pond looks lovely by the way :)

Pardon my honesty - I am a Northerner

14 loach species bred, which will be next?

billi

Post by billi » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:17 am

Thanks for all the comments and advice, Diana, Batch and Mad Duff! We're confident now we can provide a good home for the loaches. Time to set up the quarantine tank for our new additions now.

PASoracco

Post by PASoracco » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:15 pm

my weather loaches used to live in a 95 gallon indoor pond with my goldfish and koi before I added catfish. With the water 3-4" from the surface and no overhanging lip, I never had any of the loaches try a great escape; the bigger fish are another story :roll:
Just call me Pierce :)
"Act Well Your Part - There All the Honor Lies"