Batik Loach?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Katy

Batik Loach?

Post by Katy » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:13 am

We got a call yesterday from the hour-away fish store that they are getting in batik Loaches this week

Both the book and the species profile on the site say they are "feisty" but not much else about behaviour, compatibility, etc. Anyone here have them?

How would they do in our 120 with the botias (kubotai, striata, sids, rostrata) and a Sumo. There are lots of hiding places, and I am planning to make more caves, too. Currently has 2 Rena XP3s, adding a Korelia 2 powerhead one I get it loach-proofed.

We also have the 40 gallon, which we are "discussing" :) possibilities for -- I am favoring a river tank, Mr Cloudhands is interested in dwarf cichlids :)

mickthefish

Post by mickthefish » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:35 am

they will be fine in your tank Katy, their feistiness is amongst themselves but they soon find their own areas.

mick
never take people at face value.

Katy

Post by Katy » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:48 pm

Thanks Mick.
Mr. Cloudhands has gone to get a couple. Only, they will be together in a 10 gal q-tank. I have it set up with a lot of rocks and plants, so hopefully lots of hiding spaces. THink they will be ok?

mickthefish

Post by mickthefish » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:56 pm

they should be ok Katy, i found just having weighted wool mops in the tank stopped any aggro from the group i had, which was 11 of them.

mick
never take people at face value.

cloudhands

Post by cloudhands » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:39 pm

They're in the Q tank with an expensive assortment of dithers and interesting items. Perhaps most interesting and different are a few clown killis and a handful of celestial pearl danios for the kuhli tank. Lots more cardinals to school in the 120 loach tank, as well as a few more to add to the dither groups.

Katy

Post by Katy » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:21 pm

any idea how to sex them?

This morning they are swimming together, looks a little too frantic to be a "loachy dance" -- they are looking like they are trying to find an escape route! water level is low, though, so I don't think they will find it....

Katy

Post by Katy » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:15 pm

They are REALLY active -- and move very quickly, but here are our psychedelic batik loaches:

And here is one impersonating an eel while trying to escape the q-tank:

the Q=tank is crowded 'cause I thought they would need all sorts of out-of-line-of-sight hiding places, but it makes it even harder to get photos....