New to Loach Keeping

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Alisana

New to Loach Keeping

Post by Alisana » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:16 am

Hi there,

I've just recently re-entered aquaria after being away from it for 5 years; though originally I had only really kept fish such as guppies and platies. This year I've started up again, and started with cichlids.

Unfortunately, when looking for a bottom feeder, I was sold some loaches as "scavengers" :!: which I now understand is a grossly incorrect term for these lively creatures!

My concern is that currently, the tank I have them in is not suited to their correct needs. I have three Yo-Yo loaches (though, had to separate them due to extreme bullying) and three baby clown loaches. The tank they are in right now is built around the Malawi Cichlids, so the parameters are completely off (pH 8.2, lava rocks), but I'm looking at getting a tank set up for them. (To try and help "minimize" the amount of contact the loaches have with the rock, I'm trying to grow Java Moss over the entire thing)

The 2ft tank that they are in right now is going to be shut down in a week or two as the 3ft (which has the same parameters ><) has finished cycling so I'm going to move the fish into there. I have two options:

One: Once everyone has moved to the 3ft, set up the 2ft around their needs then move them to there. (then set up 3ft - option two - once cichlids have moved to 6ft)
Two: Leave them in to the 3ft until I purchase and set up a 6ft, then set up the 3ft around their needs.

The 2ft I know is much too small for the baby clowns and ideally, I'd like to get 2 x 6fts, but I'm sure I'll get in trouble by my partner :oops: as I suffer MTS. :( (Unless I just show up with two anyway and deal with the "lecture" :lol: )

I've been making little caves for the loaches using smooth river stones fitted together with aquarium silicone as well as coating PVC piping in smooth gravel so they have more hidey-holes as they get bigger. (Currently the clowns share a clay cave and just crash out and sleep on top of each other in there - the YoYo sometimes joining them).

So - what are your opinions?

I'm considering purchasing some of the ADA Aquasoil to plant a tank for the loaches, but haven't used the stuff before (or seen it) so I'll have to wait until I have a feel of the substrate. Either that or do a fine sand mix with the stuff so that way they can dig around in it easier.

I've found ways of feeding the loaches without high concern for Malawi bloat thankfully; I harvest snails from one of my planted tanks and drop about a dozen or two in either once or twice a week (they seem to love this), injecting bloodworm into the substrate and hiding shrimp pellets in their hidey-holes.

But - anyway, let me know if there is anything else I can do and what tank option would be better.

Thank you in advance!

Alisana

Re: New to Loach Keeping

Post by Alisana » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:18 am

Ahh, and psst. Please don't tell my partner ;)

But I am of half mind just to grab two 6ft tanks later down the line... :)

astex

Post by astex » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:30 pm

Is there any reason you cannot keep the 2 foot set up and just move the cichlids ? If the loaches are already acclimated to the water, and since it is an established tank, I would keep them in the 2' and not move them back and forth. As long as there is at least one hidey hole in the tank, mine have never minded me moving the remaining decorations around the tank they are in.

Long term, I would go with a 6' tank for the loaches. As for the SO and lectures on two tanks, I would be tempted to go that way assuming it would not cause any great divisions/stress long term.

HTH,
Bridget

redshark1

Post by redshark1 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:34 pm

If your aquaria are one of your greatest pleasures in life as mine are, your partner will, given a little time, accept this and support you eventually (or leave LOL!).

I think your Clown Loaches hold greater potential for joy long term and I urge you to develop this part of your hobby as it is ultimately very satisfying to have decades old fish which exhibit such magnificence in their maturity.

I have great pride in mine (though my achievements are modest compared to the best on this forum which are so inspiring).

6 x Clown Loaches all 30 years of age on 01.01.2024, largest 11.5", 2 large females, 4 smaller males, aquarium 6' x 18" x 18" 400 ltr/90 uk gal/110 US gal. approx.