obscenely hopeful?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

MattTheMorrisSailor

obscenely hopeful?

Post by MattTheMorrisSailor » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:13 am

I was wondering if I can get away with any more loaches in my roma 125 litre tank or if I'm just being obscenely hopeful :mrgreen:

The dimensions are 80cm long x 35cm wide x 45cm high, with 10-15 litre sump (pump is 800lph). flow in tank has been increased with a second pump at 1,250lph

Tank is quite heavily planted (particularly at the back, although there are a few small plants at the front which have actually rooted very well) with 2 reasonably sized pieces of bog wood (about 30cm long).

Fish in tank are currently:
3 yoyo loach
1 pokadot loach
1 flash pleco
6 sterbai corys
18 celestial pearl danio
12 black neons (I think, I can never count them and I've had them since I started more or less)
4 oto cats

All in all I'd like to increase my numbers for the loaches, danios and oto cats; not the tetra as I considered trying to swap them as I've discovered I actually prefer danios (only got them originally because my dad liked them)
I can't really do anything right now anyway as I'm 2 hours drive from my fish tank as I'm at uni; it's more something to think about for when I've got more time down there.

What are peoples thoughts?
It's amazing how much there is to learn about fish, and how easy it is to find something new about something you think you know.

BanalityBob

Re: obscenely hopeful?

Post by BanalityBob » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:48 pm

Sorry to say but you're already at max capacity/overstocked, even if you remove the Black Neons (I would). Your tank is about 33 US gallons and is about 31x14x18 to us U.S. types. I'm new around here too, but the general consensus in threads of a similar nature I've started (I have a tank about your size) is that the Spotted Loaches are too big, meaning the Yoyos are probably too big as well.

MattTheMorrisSailor

Re: obscenely hopeful?

Post by MattTheMorrisSailor » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:02 pm

Yer I know about the yoyos, didn't realise how fast they grew in comparison to the polkadot, he was nearly 2cm bigger then them when I got them and now, 5 months later they're about 2cm bigger than him, interestingly he seems to have the most respect out of them, despite there being a very obvious female and 2 sizeable males to contend with.

I'm looking forward to having space to put up a much bigger tank, but as it is, I have no opportunity to do that yet (haven't got my own place yet)
It's amazing how much there is to learn about fish, and how easy it is to find something new about something you think you know.