How long should I wait after sewellia lineolata breed

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

plaalye

Re: How long should I wait after sewellia lineolata breed

Post by plaalye » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:41 pm

I don't think I would worry about interbreeding. The parents are likely wild caught, no? I keep mine together. They grow very slowly also so it will be months, maybe a year, before the young are ready to breed.

shuwae

Post by shuwae » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:33 pm

Yes, the 5 sewellias are wild caught from two different sources. The reason I want to move the fry is that I plan to move abroad soon but have my brother take care of the tank until I return. It would be hard for me to figure out which is the F0 and F1s when I return and sell the F1s.

shuwae

Post by shuwae » Wed May 02, 2012 1:43 am

Well the busy boy was at it again tonight. Fourth time in a month. Different female though. Have to get that bigger tank for them soon. I just hope the shrimps eat some eggs so I don't have too many fry.

shuwae

Post by shuwae » Sat May 05, 2012 11:54 pm

Finally got a picture of the baby (best one I could get of it; still better than nothing :D ):

The parents were breeding again. I think I have 4 females and 1 male out of my group. I know that three are proven females but the last one doesn't look like it as bred before so I'm still optimistic about it. I'm still thinking if I should have two filters on the tank so that I can have double the filtration as the powerhead seems to be in the way...

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Sun May 06, 2012 10:22 am

Those females are going to wear him out!! :lol:

shuwae

Post by shuwae » Sun May 06, 2012 10:51 pm

Yep. I'm worried about that and was going to get another male but maybe not as I don't want to have too many adults in the tank as the male is aggressive. I see a lot of fry on the sand already and don't want to think about how many there will be with two males.

mattyd

Post by mattyd » Tue May 08, 2012 10:37 pm

I discovered a bunch of fry in my tank this morning as well.

I have had my sewellia breed before, but none of those fry survived (one got to about 15mm in length, and then it disappeared as well). 5 months ago I did a water change and in the process one of my 4 sewellia died. So I thought I might have lost the 'other' fish in the breeding pair. But I have been over-feeding my fish recently, and doing frequent small water changes, and feeding high protein frozen and live blood worms, black worms, and other critters, and I guess I got my fish into condition again.

Looking at my tank this morning I noticed about 3 tiny babies skittering around in one corner. Further investigation showed a few others in view elsewhere in the tank. So it appears that I didn't lose the breeding adult --- or, if I did, then obviously the 3 remaining still make up at least a breeding pair. My tank is 1meter long, 30cm wide and 30cm high. I have a large hang-on-back filter sitting on one end, and underneath that I have a koralia style propellor powerhead. It pushes water from the filter along the front of the tank. I have small gravel (3mm-6mm in size) on the bottom, and about 20 fist (and larger) sized rocks through the middle of the tank. The water flows around the rocks in a whirlpool fashion. I have VERY high light on the tank, and get a great amount of algae growth on the rocks (and unfortunately I've also been getting a lot of green beard algae growing).

I'll be keeping an eye on your progress, and updating with mine as well. :-)

Shuwae::: what gravel/sand/rocks/plants do you have in your tank? My recommondation would be to do small water changes (half a bucket a day), taking the water from the top of the tank, and slowly pouring in the new water afterwards. That way you won't risk sucking up any young babies.

Matt
5ft long rocky hillstream tank - Sewellia lineolata and spotted... and lots (and lots) of spotted fry
8ft Clown loach tank: 30+ clown loaches, 10+ Yoyos.
6ft tank for 16x botia kubotai, 13x Striata, 6x Sidthimunki - I need more sids

shuwae

Post by shuwae » Wed May 09, 2012 1:29 am

I have river sand mixed with pool filter sand. Rocks are just plain river/lake rocks, in different sizes, I found. The tank has crypt wendtii, java fern, and vallisneria. Also a manzanita driftwood where the java ferns are attached. I would do that but I can't stand it when I can see stuff on the gravel. If I see dead leaves, uneaten food, or waste, I always take it out. I do weekly water changes, about 30% to 40% with a gravel vac. Usually takes me 30 or so minutes just to change water and clean. Longer if I have to take out fry from the bucket. My male breeds at least twice a week as I have three known females. When I feed veggies, I see a lot of small fry so I know some are surviving. I don't want to be overrun with fry so I think it's ok as I try to check the bucket when I do water changes. I have no idea why the group started breeding as I haven't changed anything in the tank or their food routine. Most of their diet contains veggies and Repashy. Haven't tried feeding the fry BBS yet as I have no other fish that may eat the leftovers. All I have in the tank is 10 RCS, the 5 parents, and what ever fry there is.

Would love to hear your updates too as these are my first fry from the group :D

shuwae

Post by shuwae » Mon May 14, 2012 5:42 pm

I found 11 good sized fry like the photo posted. The older ones are about 1cm now. Already acting aggressive to each other too. Male hasn't been breeding this week. Not sure why not but I haven't had the chance to sit and watch them so maybe I missed it.