loaches for my large tank?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

ali12345

loaches for my large tank?

Post by ali12345 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:36 pm

Hi,
I currently have a bit of a problem with my filament barbs breeding quite prolifically. Even though the tank is 500 gallons I can't keep that many large fish. I think the eggs are scattered over plants and somehow survive. I am thinking that smallish loaches might be able to forage for the eggs. Any ideas ? A shoal of 8 would be easily done if they aren't too pricey. I already have clown loaches but they don't seem to be successful and are maybe too big for this job. The tank is a standard non aggressive community of fish 3" to 8" with the tank at 25 C, pH about 7.
Alison

Diana

Re: loaches for my large tank?

Post by Diana » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:34 pm

I think Kubotai Loaches would be perfect in this set up.
They are peaceful toward other species, playful among themselves and showy in the tank. They do not hide very much. They are much smaller than Clown Loaches, so you can stock more of them without them taking over all the bioload space in the tank.

A more aggressive species is the Yoyo Loach. I would not trust them with small fish, though. They ate Neon Tetras before the Yoyos were adult size. I have no idea what size fish an adult Yoyo could eat.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

ali12345

Re: loaches for my large tank?

Post by ali12345 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:48 am

Thanks - that is useful information.