Botia histrionica aggression ?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

tonyf1971

Botia histrionica aggression ?

Post by tonyf1971 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:46 am

I picked up a group of Botia kubotai all juveniles, but one of the 9 is a histrionica.

My LFS will happily take it back as they wont be getting more histrionica in stock plus I don't have the room for another group of loaches .

the histrionica is slightly aggressive to the kubotai, I am guessing due to it being the only histrionica , what the chance's of this settling down and being one of the group or is it better to rehome ?

Jim Powers

Re: Botia histrionica aggression ?

Post by Jim Powers » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:42 pm

Are you sure it is a histrionica and not something else? Perhaps a young almorhae? Many of these botia species look alike when juvenile. I once bought two rostratas mixed in with a shipment of, and being sold as Botia dario.
I always found histrionicas to be among the most gentle botia types. But, I guess there are always exceptions.

DainBramage1991

Post by DainBramage1991 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:44 pm

I have a mix of histrionica, rostrata, kubotai, and almorhae in my tank. They all act as if they are one group, and seem perfectly happy. Occasionally they will chase each other but they never cause injury. I think it's just their way of sparring for pecking order.

I doubt your lone histy even knows that he is alone, I think he's probably just trying to establish dominance.

I wouldn't rehome him if I were you, he will most likely do just fine.

tonyf1971

Post by tonyf1971 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:58 am

the markings look more like histrionica than almorhae but they are juvenile so I could be wrong.

don't get me wrong all the Botia are peaceful just the histrionica appears to be more aggressive but I wasn't sure if it was dominance / place in hierarchy display.

first time keeping Botia , have only kept Dojo Loaches (in another tank).

will keep the group together and monitor how it goes as it doesn't appear to be doing any real damage to the other loaches and doesn't bother with the other tank mates, Brochis and debauwi catfish