How large may Clowns get in a 2'x2'x6' tank?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

wasserscheu

How large may Clowns get in a 2'x2'x6' tank?

Post by wasserscheu » Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:32 am

I would be thankful for some help planning the tank... my largest clown measures currently a little above 4" and counts approx. 2years age.

How large may they get in the new considerable bigger tank (2'x2'x6')? I will provide good swimming room (in case that makes a differents in growth...)

many thanks

Wolfram

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:20 am

Just a guess, but around 8 inches should be content in a 6 footer. Depending on how large the group is.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:46 am

Yes, I'd agree with Graeme that your proposed tank will be large enough for specimens up to approx 8" in length. If the aquarium is going to be heavily filtered, you could keep a nice big group in there, at least 15-20, I would say.

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

wasserscheu

Post by wasserscheu » Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:08 pm

thanks... means 6' tank will not stop them growing... I am allready wondering... they are currently in a far too small tank that they are outgrowing (try to get my friends usualy as tiny as I can get them). As a teenager my clowns never reached 4", I am surprised they growing so "fat" :) , looks like I will be surprised even more in future...

... the filtering advice was great, now I will defenitely put both pumps in (was not sure before, because it may "absorb" to much iron...)

... I really would like to add a school of sid´s and striatas, that will be allright, I assume?

The clowns, so far, are the most gentle fish in the current tank at all, exept: food is THEIRs, and they have no mercy regarding that...

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:30 pm

Hi Wolfram,

They will be fine in a 6ft tank for a good number of years before you need to upgrade. You will be able to work out when you think they require more room. :wink:

You should always aim to 'over filter' tanks containing clown loaches, as they are fairly messy fish (they like their food :wink: ) and they do need plenty of strong current, which the filters can provide.

Clowns are gentle giants and will be fine with smaller fish species. Having said that, very large adult clown loaches may become a little too boisterous for the tiny Y. sidthimunki, unintentionally knocking them out of the way etc with their antics. If you plan on adding another Botia species, I'd stick to the B. striata, which are that bit bigger than Sids, and therefore able to handle themselves better.

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.