PHOTOS

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Loachloach

Re: PHOTOS

Post by Loachloach » Sat May 26, 2018 3:02 am

No problems Fran. I hope we get this loach to colour up properly again. If you think of it, he's been sick on and off for a few years so his recovery is going to be longer. How is the other clown loach doing?

FranM

Post by FranM » Sat May 26, 2018 3:09 am

The other one never has an issue. Ever.

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Sat May 26, 2018 4:20 am

I meant to ask, what do you use to dechlorinate the water? Do you put it in the tank directly and to what dosage? How is your water treated, chlorine or chloramines?

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Sat May 26, 2018 4:24 am

Also, did you get your Fluval FX6 yet? Have you thought of adding to this tank int he mean time? I wonder if your filtration is not up to the task and there are some other water quality issues.

FranM

Post by FranM » Sat May 26, 2018 6:21 am

I use Prime and fill tap into a bucket then water pump it through python. I use prime in the bucket as I fill— probably a capful and a half little at a time. As one bucketful empties I add more in as its refilling.

I believe my water has both chlorine and chloramines. I have the FX6 but hadn’t thought to attach to 55. I may have a tidal wave in there!

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Sat May 26, 2018 12:38 pm

Do you know the amount of chlorine and chloramines in your tap water? It would be good to know to make sure you're putting enough Prime. Perhaps check your water report for your area?

I also personally dose the tank directly before I fill the water. I put the entire dose at once that treats the water volume of the entire tank. I think that's a safer way to do it. I double dose but it all depends on the amount of chlorine and chloramines in your tap. I'd personally look into that and make sure what you dose is enough to treat the entire tank for it, especially that you have chloramines which would mean ammonia as well as it breaks down so you dose would have to be higher than normal.

Yep, the FX6 would be overkill for a 55G but personally I would probably get it going.... :)

FranM

Post by FranM » Sat May 26, 2018 1:45 pm

https://postimg.cc/image/a5n6hr8ol/

Photo of the report. What do you think?

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Sat May 26, 2018 3:04 pm

It looks like it says Free Chlorine 0.53ppm? That doesn't sound like much to me

FranM

Post by FranM » Sat May 26, 2018 3:21 pm

No clue. I think it’s too simple. Our water is a mixture of a couple locations. Plus that report was from 2016. No newer ones. I will email on Tuesday.

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Sat May 26, 2018 9:39 pm

Many US water co. add chloramine to 1ppm but I'm not sure how that relates to "free chlorine".

I do like loach does if I use my Python. I use a capful of Prime for a 55g before I start refilling. That treats 50g, more than a 55g actually holds with substrate & décor. If I use gallon jugs (it's exercise!), I use 2 or 3 drops/gal.

I'd test out your new filter on your 55g too. You can see how adjusting the spray bar works in a 4ft tank. You can always aim it along the back glass if the flow rate seems too much. But your new tank is also 4ft, even though it's twice as wide. See how the fish react. you may need to add some wood or rocks for calmer areas.

FranM

Post by FranM » Sun May 27, 2018 9:12 am

One possibility— is it possible to add TOO much Prime?

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Sun May 27, 2018 4:51 pm

One possibility— is it possible to add TOO much Prime?
Well, there's a limit on the bottle to up to 5x the tank volume of water. I personally overdose. I don't trust that water. I can sometimes smell the ammonia although our water report says extremely low limits to all ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and its treated with just chlorine but the water really stinks sometimes unmistakably of ammonia/bleach.

FranM

Post by FranM » Sun May 27, 2018 6:08 pm

Ok. Thanks! So overdose is unlikely.

FranM

Post by FranM » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:43 am

https://youtu.be/3l4ZlNOH2wg

Hi Loach and Nancy.

Just wanted to share a video from today of Mr Slim. As you can see he still is nice and plump. Still am so grateful for the Kusuri wormer advice. Was hoping you could see skin coloration better but you really can’t, unfortunately. The little clown is showing a little skin issue too but not nearly as prominent as Mr. Slim’s.

I’m thinking of doing a Prazipro treatment. Don’t know that I really need to, though.

We are looking at two rentals tomorrow. Hope one of them is a winner. Dying to get the tank running!

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:41 pm

The loaches look very good to me Fran.
I am not sure why you want to treat with prazi pro. Is it for the spots?

I hope you like the apartments you're going to see so we can finally see the new fish tank :D