PHOTOS

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

FranM

Re: PHOTOS

Post by FranM » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:48 pm

Aquarium is STILL not set up. Waiting for the tinting. Sigh. But here is a pic of it just sitting and waiting...

https://s15.postimg.cc/70jporeez/178_AB ... E75209.jpg

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:13 pm

So Fran, I've been MIA for the last 3 weeks. What's the "tinting"? Background? You know I was hoping to see the new tank all set up when I came back...Better to get it right the first time but...Let's go!!

FranM

Post by FranM » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:59 am

Yeah! In agreement!!

The tinter’s daughter got in a bad car accident a few weeks back so he wasn’t doing any extra jobs. She’s doing better thankfully but somehow is not doing the job now. Soooo, my fiancé took it upon himself to do it. He did it yesterday. This morning a top corner is peeling off! I’m trying to remain patient but it’s getting more and more difficult!

I just want to do it the old fashioned way with ordering a black background now. They have the sticky types that go on like the tinting film. But, he’s going to order another roll and try tinting one more time. I’m a bit pissed I have to say!

FranM

Post by FranM » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:28 am

Eh, the tint. Not impressed. Too reflective which was something I expressed concern over early on. But I’m just glad it’s done and I’ve filled it 75%. I need to add sand still. I’m incredibly nervous. The stand was creaking upon fill and I’m still afraid the whole setup is gonna end up in the condo below us. I know I’m probably worrying over nothing, but I’ve never rented before. If the tank went down in the place I own I wouldn’t be as nervous. But, this is someone else’s.......OK, enough!

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:52 pm

Looking good, Fran! It might look better with substrate etc in place.

I don't think you need to worry about the tank falling through to the downstairs neighbor's...but "just" maybe 100g of water, lol. That's the kind of thing you may want renter's insurance for; it used to be quite inexpensive way back in my renting days...a long time ago.

I hate moving! It takes me months or more to feel "at home" even without the stress (or fun) of new tank set ups. You're lucky it's so close & there is less pressure right now. Take your time...

FranM

Post by FranM » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:02 pm

Hey Nancy. Ty. Adding sand as I write this and yes, we have renter’s insurance. On a really positive note I love the place we’re in. Will take more pics accordingly.

Getting ready to set up filter. Nervous about that too but I know I’ll do it right. The older I get the more I worry. ANYWAY, I think it was Loach who had suggested a thinner layer of sand to avoid gaseous buildup in substrate. I have about 55-60 lbs of sand in there. I have plenty for touch ups. It’s gettng closer to the end every day. :D

Here’s a pic with sand. I have to spread it around a bit more.

FranM

Post by FranM » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:07 pm

This is the finished project just waiting for inhabitants. I left a lot of open space up front for the silver dollars. It doesn’t seem like as much when you look at the tank face on. It’s still a little cloudy to me—maybe because the biological filtration isn’t mature yet. I may grab the matrix from the old tank tomorrow if the ammonia doesn’t look better. I’m so anxious to get my fish in there!

loachnoob

Post by loachnoob » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:38 pm

nice Fran!

FranM

Post by FranM » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:40 pm

Thanks, loachnoob, however the tank has been apart and it doesn’t look like this right now. Hoping to get back on track REAL soon.

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:30 pm

Hey Fran.

Sorry for not being around. I went on a long holiday and wasn't on fish forums at all. I am just catching up on the updates now :D

I see you're progressing on the new set up. Can't wait to see more of it.

And congrats on the new place.

FranM

Post by FranM » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:21 pm

Thanks, Loach

All is going well here. Hope you enjoyed your long holiday! :) No apologies. We all have lives.

All is coming along pretty well. I will add a pic with fish in it at the end of the post. The Fluval FX6 has been running along with the Aquaclear since 8/17. I’m concerned about the clowns though. They are active and all but they are not displaying their bright colors. The black stripes are very dull. Not sure if it’s the adjustment to the new place, the bright light, or the fact they are only two of their kind (color was not an issue in the 55). Check out the stomach of the smaller one, too. Thinking I have an egg filled female. Water quality has been fine since day one. Any suggestions?

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:33 am

Your tank & fish look great, Fran! Clowns can be slow to adjust to a new tank. I bet it's more with just the 2. It's only been 3+ weeks, give them some time...

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:19 am

As Nancy says the clowns will take time to adapt to the totally new surroundings. They look great and healthy, and yes, one seems like a female at this point.

Light wise, clowns don't really like it too bright, especially as they get older and if you don't have real plants, there is no point in having strong lights. Perhaps you can block some of the light? Right now in my own tank there is no light that points down directly at the tank water. All my lights are pointed at the above water plants and the tank gets indirect light only. It does make the clowns feel and act better with less light.

FranM

Post by FranM » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:25 am

Nancy and Loach, thank you! I’m very happy with how the tank came out.

I was just posting on the “greying out” thread about the light issue and so came up with a spectacular idea! I’m going to get black electrical tape and cover up some of the white LED’s to reduce brightness. (The light is a base strip that’s not strong enough for plant growth- I had inquired.)

I’ll take a before and after for the hell of it!

Thanks for the advice, and encouragement, ladies.

Fran
UPDATE. I had gray duct tape but it’s pretty transparent. The pics don’t show enough of a difference to post but in person it’s a bit more noticeable. Definitely need the black.

Below are some more pics of Mr. Slim from this moment. I was really concerned how he would fare in the move. Would he get a relapse? But he looks good still... I have a feeling he won’t get much bigger though. The little one filled out a lot but don’t see her, I guess, growing that much more either.

Mr. Slim has been resting in the same position for the last twenty minutes. Maybe the subdued lighting IS working. (Pic looks much brighter than actually is.)

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:45 pm

Clowns will grow at their own pace. Some grow much faster than others. The difference for example from the biggest of my first 5 loaches and the smallest is enormous, length and girth wise. They don't look like they're the same age but they're as I bought them together when babies. Females grow much bigger and faster. In general, however, the growth is very slow. If you had bought more at once, some would surpass the others by a big margin. You only have 2 so you may not be lucky to get a fast grower among them.