Talk to me of sidthimunki

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Basil

Talk to me of sidthimunki

Post by Basil » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:02 am

On my regular call to my one LFS, the guy told me no Histrionicas in stock yet but that he has about 50-60 sids in stock. I told him I have my heart set on Histrionicas for my 75.
But, I have my 40 breeder. Hmmm.
It was stocked with a RTBS and 8 scissortail rasboras. The shark was a small juvenile. I lost him last week :(
Not sure why as he had been fine. But about 6 weeks ago, I didn’t realize my python connection had loosened and I introduced a ton of tiny bubbles into the tank. I lost one Rasbora and the shark hid for 3 days than seemed ok. But maybe he had lasting damage?
Anyway, I know if I get another shark, he will eventually need a longer tank, correct?
So then I started thinking about stocking it with the sids.
So is this a better plan? Tell me about sids.
And the main question is do they do better on a sand substrate? My 40 is gravel so I would need to change out the gravel. Or would a mix of gravel and sand work?
Thanks all!
And yes, for those on Fishlore, this is a duplicate post!

Bas Pels

Re: Talk to me of sidthimunki

Post by Bas Pels » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:34 am

With regfard to substrate, sand is Always better than gravel, but for some fish, such as Rasbora they don't really care.

Sidhymuncky is a social fish, which is a lot of fun

Basil

Post by Basil » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:20 am

Thank you Bas Pels.
The 40 g was a free tank and it came with the gravel so that’s how I set it up. But I’ve been thinking of changing it to sand anyway.
My LFS also mentioned they have Botia dario in stock. I’m just going to take a drive down there today and have a look!

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:54 pm

I love sids! You could have quite a few in 40g. I agree with Bas Pels, sand is better. Last time I kept them on Eco Complete, like coarse sand/fine gravel. They were fine but turned very dark, almost no chain pattern because of the black substrate.

I don't think a shark would be a great fit with loaches. They're very territorial with other bottom feeders & similarly shaped mid-water swimmers like SAE. People do keep them successfully with loaches in a large enough tank with lots of hiding spots, so it can be done. I wouldn't keep 1 in less than a 4ft tank.

Basil

Post by Basil » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:57 am

Exactly Nancy. Which is why I decided to not get another shark. I can say that I would have plans to update but I really like my 40 g and don’t want to add another tank for the shark as it matures.
But I now have 10 sids in my 10g quarantine.
They are so cute! And a few are quite tiny.
What sold me was that the fish store guy showed me their planted tank with mature sids. I fell in love!
I purchased both Black and Tan sand to mix similarly how I did the black and white in my 75.