Options for loaches without suborbital spine?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Emerald Lance

Options for loaches without suborbital spine?

Post by Emerald Lance » Wed May 15, 2024 9:28 pm

Hello,

I am interested in learning about loaches. My friend has a kuhli loach and she says it's lovely. I heard kuhli and other true loaches have spikes under their eyes that they use when they are stressed or scared. Are they safe to put in tanks with other loaches or other fish? Are there any loaches (not necessarily true loaches) that don't have those spikes?

I'm sorry, I'm very new to loaches and fish in general. I just want to make sure I have as much information as I can before getting an animal I can't properly care for. Suborbital spine being there is not exactly a deal breaker, but my preference would be to find some alternative that doesn't have it.

My friend suggested I look up this forum and ask here. I turn to you all in your wisdom

rosiewilsonnsjh

Re: Options for loaches without suborbital spine?

Post by rosiewilsonnsjh » Mon Jul 22, 2024 3:07 am

Kuhli loaches are indeed lovely and quite popular among aquarists. You're right about the spikes; kuhli and many true loaches have suborbital spines that can be a defense mechanism when they're stressed. In terms of tank compatibility, kuhli loaches are generally peaceful and can coexist with other loaches and community fish, as long as the tank is spacious and well-planted, providing plenty of hiding spots. Just be cautious with very aggressive or large fish. If you're looking for loaches without those spikes, consider species like the Yoyo Loach or the Clown Loach; they have different physical characteristics. slope 3dHowever, keep in mind that all loaches have their unique traits and care requirements, so researching each species is essential.