The ICK took them both!! RIP

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Hell Fire

The ICK took them both!! RIP

Post by Hell Fire » Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:23 am

:( Well woke up yeasterday to find one baby dead, then thismorning the other has gone too. Im so upset and just angry at this! I done all i could and still the ICk took them both, they were both young but still!!
Im so sceptical about getting anymore now as dont want them to suffer to. Just thank god that they were still in the Quarentine tank!!!
One just wasnt right and kept bumping into glass and was very disorentated. Its such a shame and so upsetting as it really got better and down to a few spots then boom fully infested agaian!!! And yet my water starts etc were spot on. Just gota get rid of it on the tetra now. They dont seem to of suffered badly at all and the most they had is 1 had 4 spots.

botiaboy

Post by botiaboy » Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:33 am

awww :( It stinks to lose a little guy.Hope your tetra gets better!
My loaches:
5 kubotai
5 almorhae
5 kuhli
5 zebra
1 aborichthys

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:34 am

Unfortunately, something was probably stressing them out, whether it was water conditions, environment, tankmates, acclimatisation procedure, etc etc.
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

Hell Fire

Post by Hell Fire » Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:45 am

It is a shame. I did think something was stressing them but not sure what, as i said the water stats were great, thye had plenty of hidy holes. BUT i did take out a castel as was worried about them getting stuck as i said in a earlier post. It seemed to really go downhill after. I was doing waterchanges reguly more than usual so that could of distressed them also but it had to be done to rid the ICK.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:54 am

If you were water changing during treatment, it could have reduced the medicines effectiveness.

Hell Fire

Post by Hell Fire » Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:45 pm

No with the waterlife stuff i was best recomended and after reading a lot of the net etc to re-dose every 12hrs and do a water chnage every other dose. I changed the water 25%every other day basicaly when i added the med to the new water as i was vacing the gravel and cleaning the glass etc to get rid of the ICK. Also as i only had a sponge filter i didnt want my amonia rocketing, i was lucky and it stayed 0 the whole time :) Still obviously none of this helped so not sure what went wrong in the end.
They were very young also and came from not a very good environment tank in the shop.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:58 pm

You're not supposed to change water during the first 6 days of treatment with Protozin, where you treat on days 1, 2, 3 and 6. I'm not saying that would have definitely solved the problem, but changing the water every other day during this treatment time certainly would not have helped the situation. The ammonia shouldn't have rocketed anyway if the tank was mature, particularly as you should stop or cut down dramatically on feeding during treatment (fish often lose their appetite when the water is full of treatment anyhow).

Emma

Hell Fire

Post by Hell Fire » Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:35 pm

Thats could be why then. I read the bottle and did wonder, i left it the 1st 3 days b4 changing the water but after that done it every other day as i said. Thanks for that.
I also poted a artical on a forum about treating them and was told to do what i done.
I really hope it wasnt my fault or ill feel terrible, already feel guilty as hell!!! The tank had been running for a few months and was mature etc so that wouldnt of been a prob. Its odd as the other fish cleared up and only had 3 spots on him and yet still dies, but he was so disorentated i wonder if it may of been something else as hes always had quite a large bump on his head. All the tetras were fine.